Symbolism of the Serpent

jason

empty
Symbolism of the Serpent

Throughout history the serpent has been a mysterious and powerful symbol. Anyone who is familiar with the creation story as related in the Bible is well aware of the serpent’s association with temptation. But the serpent was a predominant figure in many ancient civilizations.

Although the serpent is widely known for its temptation of Eve as stated in the Book of Genesis, the slithery serpent has appeared in cultures far and wide including Chinese culture as well as the ancient Aztecs among others. The serpent has been a central character in ancient culture although the symbolism surrounding the creature is widely varied.

The serpent image has been found to adorn caves and temples. Statues of serpents were also quite common. Another common thread in the myths of many ancient cultures is the depiction of gods or goddesses with snakelike features. Many drawings and carvings show them to hold a snake or have it entwined about them in some manner. Regardless of the depiction there was an indication that the snake was an important figure in their culture even if the exact connection is not fully understood.

The serpent has also been referred to as a dragon and the myths surrounding this creature can be intriguing considering the dual nature of the tales inspired by its representation. Many myths and legends center around the mythical dragon but in others the dragon and serpent are used as interchangeable terms to represent the creature being referred to. The serpent has been bestowed with both positive and negative connotations representative of creation or other significance surrounding the character of this mysterious creature.

The serpent has been considered a sacred figure and has been used to represent the life force. It has been a symbol of wisdom and other positive virtues though it is usually viewed from the negative aspect. Most of us identify the serpent with the devil, temptation and evil but we must remember that these were not always the only attributes assigned to this creature. The serpent was also known as a symbol of divinity, healing, longevity and even life itself. It also represented the cycles of life and renewal.

The serpent has long been an object of repulsion and disgust mainly because of its connection to the devil and evil but at one time this lowly creature was viewed in a different light, possibly even revered as a healer and source of rebirth. The serpent is also associated with kundalini, the serpentine energy thought to be coiled at the base of the spine. A modern perspective may link the serpent with DNA, the blueprint of life, which also reveals its symbolism in the double helix, and the medical symbol of the caduceus, which is depicted as a staff with two snakes, entwined around it.

[FONT=&quot]We continue to look to the past for knowledge and while we can’t explain every myth or vestige of ancient civilization, we are still left to wonder what the devil that old serpent was really up to. [/FONT]

Melos

This is very interesting reading, thank you. I have acutally met a person who believed that all snakes were actually evil - based on the Adam & Eve story. I countered with the opinion that god created all the creatures of the earth, so the serpent must be god-created, and she never spoke to me again.

A

Aegipan

The snaka has many features that looked amazingly to the ancients. It changes his skin, is revitalized in some way so it was connected with the cicle of death and resuraction. You can see this symbolism in the popular image of Ourovoros Ofis (tail biting snake).

Most of all snake know's how to make poison, he can combine the elements to make this deadly liquid, so it was connected with knowledge and wisdom.

frang

with minty fresh powers
Serpent as both symbol of life force, and reviled symbol of all things evil?

If snakes looked like kitty cats, they wouldn't be a symbol of anything.

I'm just sayin'.

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.;)

Rhonda Tharp

Ouroboros snakes (snake eating its tail) are representative of the cyclical nature of life and death and is associated with females.
Linear snake representations were for males.

The book The Serpent and the Goddess discussed St Patrick in Ireland, and how he got rid of all the serpents... well... paganism is what this has been interpreted to mean.

Hindu's Goddess Ananta was a serpentine Goddess who held Shiva in his "death" phase.
A serpent guarded the secret book of Thoth.
The Egyptian uraeus symbol was a hieroglyph for goddess.
Isis and Nephthys become associated with the serpent as givers of life and death.
Neith/Metis/Medusa are all connected from the Libya to Greece as having something to do with snakes.
Pharaonic hat has a snake because of early influences of Metis and Uraeus.

Medieval Hermetists worshipped the serpent as Ouroboros, King of Magic, a syncretic mixture of the Ophites' Christ-Ophion, the Greeks' Hermes, the Phoenicians' Taaut, the Egyptians' Tuat, and other ancient snake-tailed gods including the underground oracle Python. Ouroboros was linked with the Chinese pi-dragon, symbol of the universe, carved on jade discs as a dragon or serpent eating its own tail. This may have been the prototype of the serpent Python and Pythagoreans' worship of pi as the mystic numerical principle of the circle. Two serpents eating each other's tails combined the yang-yin mandala wit the caduceus, expressing the bisexual nature of Hermes and all cyclic alternations: birht/death, summer/winter, light/dark, etc. The Ouroboros was still pictured under the earth in certain European areas, and some people claimed to be able to feel his slow movements through their feet when the stood in the ancient shrines.

Poolshark

The serpent is interesting. Its ability to shed its skin and be "reborn" made it a symbol of immortality and rebirth. I like the story of Gilgamesh for an interesting explanation. The snake moves like water, its belly always touches the earth and its venom burns like fire (its darting tongue is also like a flame) It can be a phallic symbol but its mouth, as it engulfs its prey can also remind one of a vagina.

Travis

In some cultures, a serpent is believed to bring bad luck to those who encounter it. But I read that in India, it symbolizes the divine power hidden in the sacrum bone of every human being.

RLynn

I like snakes, although I have a lot of respect for the dangerous ones. The Ouroborous is a wonderful symbol. I despise the bad press serpents have gotten because of the story in the book of Genesis.

I was once driving on a secondary road in a nearby mountain range and was suddenly confronted by several vehicles and people blocking the road. I got out of the car and saw what was left of an enormous diamondback rattlesnake, much longer than than the width of the road. It was dead, hacked to pieces, blood all over the place. The guy who had killed it was hyperventilating and almost incoherent. He probably thought he was some kind of hero. It made me sick. About twenty years have elapsed since then, and I still haven't gotten over it.

Bona Dea

Snakes also played a part in Ancient Rome, and were the symbol of the Bona Dea -the Good Goddess. It is said that her temple precinct was full of snakes as "Men were snakes. And owning so many snakes what need had Bona Dea for men?"

Goddess2u

I have always heard that snakes in a dream mean knowledge and that they symbolize knowledge. When you run from them in your dreams you are running from the truth about something. RLynn that is something we have in common. I raise and breed snakes and get really upset when someone kills them.

Wotan

if you are interested I just watched an instalment of a documentart (Magical Egypt Episode 4 - The Temple in Man - The Invisible Science - ) which had some very interesting theories behind the egyptian snake (mainly the pharohs on his head) which was linking the snake with many other religons including Hindu calling it Egypts "Third Eye"