Strange lights

Nora_Rose

When I was in middle school we lived in a house way out in the boonies. The house had a small driveway in the front. Most of the yard was to the right side of our house and cow pastures to the back and left side. One night I saw a light from the living room window on the right side. I was wondering why a car would be pulling through our yard. No one ever drove way out there, especially late at night.

I stepped out onto the porch and go to the end. There was no car. There was only this ball of light just hovering there in the yard! I rubbed my eyes. Still there. It was just a bright little ball of light and it shone so bright it kind of radiated. I ran inside to get my mom so she could see it. When I drug her out to the porch it was gone!

What could it have been? It seems I heard a long time ago a similar story but can't remember what they called the light. Maybe fairy lights? So has anyone experienced this before or heard stories? I know I read the UFO post and someone reminded me of this. I have seen a similar light when I was in high school but that one moved. I wonder if they were the same thing?

RLynn

Stories about strange lights are fairly common. Rational explanations tend to be preposterously lame, the most common being the ever-popular swamp gas. :rolleyes: Ball lightning used to be a fashionable explanation, but it seems to have fallen from favor. :p In Appalachia, such a luminous orb is sometimes called a will-o'-the-wisp or Jack-o'-the-lantern.

Myrddin

I like the will-o'-wisp. They're the creatures that try to get travellers to follow them through marshes and bogs, and get them drowned by leading them astray. I believe they are generally described as smokey figures, seemingly intactile, and hold small lanterns (the described light). They are mentioned in the Harry Potter series, though I think they are called hinkypunks in that case.

MysticSunshine

We use to have a hill we parked on that was called "Spook Hill", a lot of us kids would stop there coming home from a ball game, etc. as it was right on the way home. If you were very quiet and it was real dark, you would see this light stat to cross the road at the bottom of the hill. It would sometimes sway back and forth and sometimes it would come right up the hill toward you. If you made the slightest sound, it disappeared! Of course there was all kinds of 'legends' behind it. They had people coming from the University trying to figure it out but don't think anyone did. Over the years it disappeared as the area started growing, then they put up a big street light, etc. It was fun though to see and talk about at the time.

Toni

If we are to suppose that we are the only life in the universe, then we are indeed an ignorant race. Sightings like these are prevalant throughout history. I like to think that someone or something is watching over us to help keep us safe.

Nora_Rose

Sunshine, the second time I saw a light it was similar to your story. My friend told us about this haunted bridge and a light he saw and he said it chased him. My other friend and I didn't believe him. So we went to the bridge and parked right after we crossed it. The bridge was in the boonies so we walked onto it and just looked out at the small creek. I saw a tiny light like a flashlight off in the woods about ten minutes after we got there. I tol the guys I thought someone was in the woods and we should probably leave. We were kind of mesmerized and we just watched the light as it floated towards us and got bigger. The friend who saw it before got freaked out and ran to the car. We followed because we thought we would get left behind. When we crossed back over the bridge I looked back and that light was now hovering right in the middle! My friend sped up and the ball followed us down the road a bit then disappeared. I was so scared!