Mythology: your views are needed!

Annoyingprat

Hi, I’m Ali. At the moment I am doing a project about Mythologies in my Creative & Media GCSE course. Sadly I need help; so when I stumbled upon this forum I thought, “This site and these forum users can really help me with my project.” The thing is that each member of the Creative & Media course chooses on a topic/theme, I chose Mythology – of course – because I have a real interest in the creatures and the stories. The whole idea that something like a dragon could have existed, we’ll never know… :confused:
1. Can you tell me in detail anything about these different Mythological creatures/beings: Bigfoot, the Hydra and Hercules?
2. Why do you like Mythology?

Talaria

What an awesome choice! I was wondering besides those 3 choices....is there anything else in particular you want to learn about?

Rhonda Tharp

Nice to meet you Ali, do you live in Europe? I'm in Texas...
In regards to your first question, I'm sorry I don't have a lot of details. (The hydra is one of Hercules' 12 labors, has 7 heads, but in some stories, has 50, 100, or 10,000 heads.)
For your second question, I had struggled all my life for answers to things I constantly questioned. I was raised Christian, and I believe in God, but I always thought there was more to "the story." I love making connections between different cultures' myths, and studying their pantheons, beliefs and values.

Your comment about dragons reminded me of something I had heard on the History channel. There were Chinese archaeologists digging up dinosaurs, and had commented on the history of the Chinese dragons. The archaeologist claimed that their Chinese ancestors may have found unearthed dinosaur bones, and couldn't explain what animal it was, so it became known as a dragon. I thought that was interesting. What it must have been like to live in China in 200 BC and see a dinosaur skeleton in the dirt...

Annoyingprat

What an awesome choice! I was wondering besides those 3 choices....is there anything else in particular you want to learn about?
No thank you :)

Nice to meet you Ali, do you live in Europe? I'm in Texas...
In regards to your first question, I'm sorry I don't have a lot of details. (The hydra is one of Hercules' 12 labors, has 7 heads, but in some stories, has 50, 100, or 10,000 heads.)
For your second question, I had struggled all my life for answers to things I constantly questioned. I was raised Christian, and I believe in God, but I always thought there was more to "the story." I love making connections between different cultures' myths, and studying their pantheons, beliefs and values.

Your comment about dragons reminded me of something I had heard on the History channel. There were Chinese archaeologists digging up dinosaurs, and had commented on the history of the Chinese dragons. The archaeologist claimed that their Chinese ancestors may have found unearthed dinosaur bones, and couldn't explain what animal it was, so it became known as a dragon. I thought that was interesting. What it must have been like to live in China in 200 BC and see a dinosaur skeleton in the dirt...
OOOOOOoooooo... I did not know that the Hydra had 7 heads to begin with, thanks for the info :)
Also, yeah I do live in Europe :)