Book of the dead

Bobby Givens

I find Egyptian mythology pretty interesting and the Book of the Dead has captured my attention since I watched The Mummy years ago. It is a collection of spells that the dead were to take with them to the afterlife. I would love to see it. It would be so interesting to read through it and see what they thought would help them in the hereafter.

LegendofJoe

There are several versions in print right now. I have a version of it myself. You could probably get an affordable copy at amazon.

Libros

Arguably the best popular edition in print is the Raymond O. Faulkner translation. It is tall and thick with full colour glossy images of the actual Papyrus of Ani, accompanied by the English text. Poster quality stuff, excellent presentation and endorsed academically.

http://www.amazon.com/Egyptian-Book-Dead-Integrated-Full-Color/dp/0811864898/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Please ignore any translation before 1960, especially any work of E. A. Wallis Budge. Although his work is cheaply reproduced and in the public domain, his work done in the late 19th-early 20th century was extremely inaccurate and proven by later discoveries and translators to be faulty and inconsistent. Faulkner's translation from 1972 is one of the better ones.

Bobby Givens

As interesting as the translations would be, I would really like to get my hands on the original. Full color, poster quality photos are all well and good but they aren't the real thing now are they? ;)