Zeus vs hades help

Nadai

Lucky for us Prometheus
What has man done with the fire Prometheus stole from Olympia and passed unto man. Hardly appeasing the Gods with it I say, except those few individuals in history such as Plato or Socrates maybe many other scholars and some generals but as a whole even this country has lost remembrance and nostalgia of the Greeks and ancients.
Prometheus gave humanity fire as a gift because we needed it to survive but in ancient times it wasn't just used to keep humans warm or help make tools and cook food, they used it to sacrifice to the gods. There was a time when the Greeks sent up burnt offerings to the gods as thanks and to ask for blessings. It probably wasn't too easy to appease the gods what with their infantile behavior always being moved to acts of violence or raping women indiscriminately. The gods weren't really all that worthy of worship, in my opinion.
As far as this country worshiping the Greek gods, well back then they had their own gods to worship, but now-a-days we consider it all to be mythology. People still learn about the culture and I know I respect the mythology, maybe not the gods because I don't believe in them, but definitely the culture.

Rebirth_Myth

I was thinking spiritually when myth is literal so yeah Prometheus gave the caveman fire as an act of science and revolution then. Psychologically man has evolved from the caveman days so thank Prometheus for that I guess.

Nadai

I was thinking spiritually when myth is literal so yeah Prometheus gave the caveman fire as an act of science and revolution then. Psychologically man has evolved from the caveman days so thank Prometheus for that I guess.
Well in the literal sense then, I don't know that there would have been much to do for Prometheus anyway considering he'd been imprisoned on his rock for giving man fire anyway. Fire was a step towards evolution, yes. Without fire we would have been pretty sol. But I'm sure Prometheus got some kind of thanks from mankind for his sacrifice. At the least he was immortalized by man as the father of humanity.

Alejandro

I'd never seen that before, thanks for sharing.

There's a Disney Silly Symphonies I enjoy from 1929 (or, that's it says at least, anyways).
You're welcome. I think I'd first seen this spooky Skeleton Dance more recently, a few years ago. Old-skool Disney stuff is kinda out there :eek:...

Alejandro

I know of the war about the titans vs Zeus. But does Zeus and Hades ever go to war?
So to take it back to the original question of the post, & in the spirit of the silliness of Silly Symphonies ;), I came up with an idea while I was painting this, which I'm calling
Haides Akaratomos (Hades the Unbeheaded) or Frankenstein’s Monster as Hades
Haides Akaratomos.jpg
(Check this and a few other mythology-related pieces over here: http://pyrotekhnologos.deviantart.com/gallery/ if you please)

A steampunk version of the reason for Haides being referred to as the Infernal Zeus… plus a few other random conspiracy theories

Zeus, famous for ruling from the summit of Mt Olympos, was actually a clone of the original king of the gods. When that original Zeus crippled his son the crafts-god Hephaistos by hurling him out of Olympos onto the unforgiving face of the Earth, Hephaistos retreated to a volcano in which he plotted his revenge and constructed there a clone of his own father. Being Zeus’ lightning-bolt manufacturer, Hephaistos supplied his new creation with some of his father’s deadly weaponry and then let him loose.

Being in nature the same as the original, the clone wanted to be king, and after a fierce battle he managed to sever Zeus’ head from his body. In the aftermath of the beheading, however, the clone made the mistake of attempting to finish him off using some of the lightning he had been given by the crafts-god. This instead acted like a defibrillator, shocking Zeus back to life. Zeus was able to grab his head and put it back on but was severely debilitated. The clone decided to spare him but sequestered him to the nether regions of the Earth, where he granted him rule over the dead and the chance to keep his name but only with a new title: Zeus Katakhthonios, that is, Zeus of the Underworld.

The highest of the Olympians soon found all this out but none was willing to back the original Zeus as king, either because he was now so weak or because he had been so cruel and abusive of his power before his beheading. So they came up with the tale that this new but unseen god of the Underworld was actually the very secretive older brother of Poseidon and Zeus, with whom they had divided the rule of the universe after the end of the Titans’ War. And from then on they agreed to refer to the clone as though he was the original who had defeated Kronos at the beginning of time. Meanwhile the original was given the name Haides, the “Unseen” or “Invisible” One.

By the way, I’m not sure if I completely made up the word akaratomos or if it’s proper Greek. I know that “beheaded” is karatomos, so I just added the a- prefix to make it “unbeheaded.” It seemed to me to be a bit less clunky than my other guess of anapokephalisteke (combining an- with apokephalisteke, another word for “beheaded”).

thundergoddess

I just wanted to say that Hades is a good bro. He got his temper from his mother. I haven't heard really for some problems he caused to Zeus or to other gods - except Persephone. He just watches over his work and if he caused pain and suffering it's because he is the king of the Underworld. :)

Myrddin

I just wanted to say that Hades is a good bro. He got his temper from his mother. I haven't heard really for some problems he caused to Zeus or to other gods - except Persephone. He just watches over his work and if he caused pain and suffering it's because he is the king of the Underworld. :)
As far as I understand him, Hades doesn't cause that much suffering at all. It's merely the realm he looks over that attributes him to evil -- but really, he isn't so much. He's a good guy, and he clearly loves Persephone. It's just in some variations of the story -- the more modern ones, I suppose -- that make him look bad. We've never really been very fair towards him. Poor guy. :(

E. M.