Your interpretation of the persephone myth

Cedric

I've seen a lot of debate about what "truly" happened in the abduction of Persephone myth. Arguments about how she willingly became queen there or was tricked into staying there.

On one side it is believed that Hades had abducted and tricked Persephone into eating the seeds of a pomegranate so that she would be forced to stay there and live unhappily as his bride.

On the other hand it is believe that she knew what she was getting into. She craved power and wanted to distance herself from her identity as Kore- the weak maiden, as she was tired of being viewed as a meager child. She willingly ate the seeds to obtain a slice of power over the underworld.

I'm not sure which side I lean more towards. I do believe there was some kind of trickery and kidnapping involved but Persephone had enjoyed her time with Hades and wanted to be by his side. I do know the ancient Greeks feared her, due to my interpretation of one of her epithets-Epaine: The fearful one.

I would be interested in hearing your opinions and views on the matter.:)

MythologyRetold

I always felt the former story seemed better. That Hades tricked her with the Pomegranate. But I think whilst it meant she was "forced" to stay there, she wasn't super unhappy with it as she had started to fall for Hades in a Stockholm Syndrome style of things.

Definitely on point that she became more powerful and important by marrying Hades. Which I think is something she would of grown to appreciate over time, playing into the Stockholm Syndrome vibe.

It's so interesting seeing others' takes on this, or any myth really. It's like, whatever one you're exposed to first is what really sticks with you. I took a Greek mythology class in high school and was told that Hades kidnapped Persephone. This made sense to me because it happens SO MANY times throughout the mythology. And of course, there isn't much given in the myths that really give us any information on how Persephone is at all. Some gods/goddesses are heavily anthropomorphized, but not her. We only ever hear of her through other gods' stories. Like this myth isn't even about Persephone, it's about Demeter and Hades and how their actions affected humanity (i.e., starvation, changing seasons, etc.). So, just by judging Persephone alone? Can't really make a call there one way or the other.

My daughter likes to listen to the Nat Geo Kids podcast Greeking Out and they covered this myth there. Of course, since it's a kids' podcast, they did say Hades kidnapped her but that she grew to love him because her mother was so overbearing. Again, I think without further emphasis on Persephone herself, both before and after, it's hard to say whether she just made the best of a bad situation or truly relished her new position. The podcast made it out to seem like Persephone really felt her work with welcoming new souls, particularly those of women, was meaningful and so she wanted to stay. But, the original myths I've heard of say she was forced because Hades tricked her. So, I guess it comes down to whatever symbolism you see within the myth you hear.