Your historical idol

If you had to choose just one person in history to credit as being your historical idol, who would it be? I have a hard time answering this question because I respect so many people in history - so many past US presidents and people who were a part of the civil and women's rights movements.

LegendofJoe

I like Joan of Arc!
I simple country teenager changes the course of the 100 years war because she thought she heard the voice of God,
only to be burned at the stake, abandoned by the king who she helped reinstate.

Olsen

I would have to say Jesus. Anyone who, without any political or economical power at all, succeeds in making thousands of people give up their centuries-old beliefs and embrace a completely different religion is an idol of mine.

Myrddin

I can easily say King Arthur, though whether he was actually a king or not remains to be seen -- certainly a leader of some sort. Any person, or group of people, who can inspire so many tales and become the stuff of legend, is definitely an idol of mine.

OMG that is a hard one....hm....I'd have to say Cleopatara. I just love her. She was tricky and crafty and showed some real girl power. I love her all around. I also love Antony though

Toni

I would have to say Jesus. Anyone who, without any political or economical power at all, succeeds in making thousands of people give up their centuries-old beliefs and embrace a completely different religion is an idol of mine.
I agree. There is no one more iconic in history than Jesus. References are throughout history including our time line. ie 2011 AD. How many of our kids today know what AD and BC stand for?

Myrddin

I agree. There is no one more iconic in history than Jesus. References are throughout history including our time line. ie 2011 AD. How many of our kids today know what AD and BC stand for?
AD stands for Anno Domini, or something like that, which means In the year of the Lord. BC, Before Christ.

Nadai

I first heard BC and AD in middle school, but it wasn't until my sophomore year of college when I was taking Classical Myth that I learned dates associated with those eras. I'd just figured, Before Christ(BC) and After Death(Anno Domini):rolleyes:

serenity

This is a tough question to answer because as someone else said, there are so many great historical figures! I really admire Elizabeth I simply because she was such a strong Queen in a time when women were not supposed to be strong and competent. England also prospered during her reign. :)

It would be very difficult for me. There are so many that have contributed so much to history. I do agree that Jesus would probably be at the top of the list, but then I would have to add all of the people who stood up for their beliefs and were killed because of it.

This is a tough question to answer because as someone else said, there are so many great historical figures! I really admire Elizabeth I simply because she was such a strong Queen in a time when women were not supposed to be strong and competent. England also prospered during her reign. :)
That's one of the reasons I really admire Queen Elizabeth. She was a strong woman. I understand that there are some problematic elements to her life but I think she was a woman who really did things women were not "supposed" to do and I respect that.