• Native American folklore

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • Maya mythology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 13.2%

• Total voters

Delilah

I've studied ancient myths to enhance worlds I've built for my stories. For my Dark Realm series, I did research into Sumerian and Judeo-Christian lore, looking in particular for stories that overlapped as I built the histories for my characters. For my new Viking stories, I wove in Norse mythology (in particular the the story of Ragnorok) for my transplanted Vikings, and Greek mythology for the utlending (Outlander) religion.

Delilah

I can't quite understand the popularity of Norse mythology. I like it too, but I have always been more exposed to Greek mythology. I first learned of Norse mythology from Richard Wagner's operas, but I doubt that this is the route most people took. Is it a cultural thing, or what?

Richard
It's likely what most people have been exposed to. And there is a wealth of stories from Greek mythology that have made it into our entertainments (movies, books, video games, comic books).

Delilah

I know but, unforunately I have not had the opportunity to study other types of mythologies yet! I'm hoping to change that soon.
Good luck with that! Really, you can enhance your world-building, and find some great jumping off places for stories in myths.

Bona Dea

When I was younger I was obsessed with the Ancient Egyptians and their myths, but nowadays I'm more interested in the myths and traditions surrounding Ancient Rome and its Gods and Goddesses

Eulalie

I really like Greek mythology. I have tried to get interested in some of the others, but I am just drawn to the Greeks. I love a lot of stuff about Greece, so I guess it makes sense that I would prefer their mythology the best as well.

RLynn

I understand the love for Greek mythology. It is an important part of our cultural heritage. However, the poll indicates a significant bias toward Nordic mythology. Yet no one except me responded to the post about Nordic runes. It seems very weird.

LegendofJoe

There is something about the Celtic myths that do it for me.
The gods are shady and mysterious: rather than living in the heavens they live beside us but hidden in the Otherworld.
Also, the warrior stories featuring Cuchulainn are just so over the top it is hysterical.

LegendofJoe

I understand the love for Greek mythology. It is an important part of our cultural heritage. However, the poll indicates a significant bias toward Nordic mythology. Yet no one except me responded to the post about Nordic runes. It seems very weird.
At least we had a small dialogue between us.
Did you get my answer regarding the Bronx question? Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.

Goddess2u

I love so many different aspects of each one. I often find myself drawn to the Celtic myths although I can trace my lineage back to the Norse Vikings. I am curious to study all of them and love that often it is the same theme just set out in a different pattern.

CancerLeo

I've always love greek myths. I fell in love with them back in high school when I would read books about them in study hall. The imagery used to describe the underworld was fantastic and really gave it a feel as though it's another world, yet still beneath the Earth. The gods had natures more akin to that of humans than some almight, all benevolent god; which I found to be far more believable. I still love and try to read more greek myths and because of my fondness for them, I found these forums. :)

Wotan

this was a hard servay as I equally enjoy Egyptian, Greek and Norse... I went with Egyptian because I am currently researching it further and learning to read hieroglphys so I have a fuller understanding of it.

LegendofJoe

In the books I read concerning the Egyptian myths, I found that though not extensive, the gods and their stories are very complicated.
The importance of certain gods seemed to wax and wane depending on the period of history as well as where you were from. Ra was important to those in Heliopolis for example. This is further confused by the fact that other gods would obtain some attributes of the sun as they grew in popularity: for example Ammon-Ra, the king of the gods during Egypt's empire building days. Sometimes Ra is Ra-Herakty. He also has three forms:Kepri(dawn), Ra(noon), Atum(sunset).
Every time I read the story of Osiris in a new book, there is always some new detail that was added, while another detail is missing. Did Isis get pregnant with Horus by resurrecting Osiris, or just his penis!!! Did she reunite his parts and mummify Osiris after he was cut up by Set, or did she bury each piece where she found it? Did Ra defend the acts of Set because he needed him daily to defeat Apophis, or was this job given to Set as punishment for his evil acts? No doubt there are different traditions, but it is enough to make my head spin.
The Egyptians did not give us a complete, coherent picture of this most important story that reads from beginning to end unfortunately. Plutarch, the Greek writer did that, but he left out alot of details that have to be pieced together from what the Egyptians themselves left.

Rhonda Tharp

The version I have of the Osiris myth said Isis buried each piece of Osiris where she found it... I understand what you are saying tho about so many versions. Depending on where you lived (there were up to 42 nones, or regions) determined which gods were worshipped and which ones were not. Two gods associated with the innundation of the Nile were worshipped in different places along the Nile (Khnum and Sobek). Different dynasties emphasized different worship patterns, as well. If you lived in the 18th Dynasty under Akhenaten's rule, then you only HAD to worship one god - Aten...

Libros

I don't have one favourite mythology over another, they're all unique and interesting.

But I enjoy seeing the syncretic evolution of different myths and gods over time across the world as the various cultures interacted and assimilated each other's traditions and myths into their own pantheons. Sometimes it was to help assimilate the people under political rule, but sometimes for personal enrichment.

My particular favourite is Graeco-Buddhism that emerged in the wake of Alexander the Great's campaigns in the East. Greek and Indian ideas met in some of the cities that sprang up along the Silk Road, and artistic representations and myth clearly have influence from both cultures.

Famous Greek hero Heracles merged with local tradition to become Vajrapani, the protector of Buddha. He even made it all the way to Japan, where the monstrous Nio statues that guard Buddhist temples bear very close resemblance to iconography of Heracles back in Greece.

Wotan

In the books I read concerning the Egyptian myths, I found that though not extensive, the gods and their stories are very complicated.
The importance of certain gods seemed to wax and wane depending on the period of history as well as where you were from. Ra was important to those in Heliopolis for example. This is further confused by the fact that other gods would obtain some attributes of the sun as they grew in popularity: for example Ammon-Ra, the king of the gods during Egypt's empire building days. Sometimes Ra is Ra-Herakty. He also has three forms:Kepri(dawn), Ra(noon), Atum(sunset).
Every time I read the story of Osiris in a new book, there is always some new detail that was added, while another detail is missing. Did Isis get pregnant with Horus by resurrecting Osiris, or just his penis!!! Did she reunite his parts and mummify Osiris after he was cut up by Set, or did she bury each piece where she found it? Did Ra defend the acts of Set because he needed him daily to defeat Apophis, or was this job given to Set as punishment for his evil acts? No doubt there are different traditions, but it is enough to make my head spin.
The Egyptians did not give us a complete, coherent picture of this most important story that reads from beginning to end unfortunately. Plutarch, the Greek writer did that, but he left out alot of details that have to be pieced together from what the Egyptians themselves left.
This is one of the reasons I am trying to learn Egyption, I bet it will be eaiser to understand these myths if I am reading them from the source and not their retellings.

If you lived in the 18th Dynasty under Akhenaten's rule, then you only HAD to worship one god - Aten...
Apparently this was the first sign of Christianity because Aten was the first singular god as apposed to many. (I regretably can not name my source, I just remember hearing it :p)

Libros

Apparently this was the first sign of Christianity because Aten was the first singular god as apposed to many. (I regretably can not name my source, I just remember hearing it :p)
I disagree. The god who eventually became central to the Abrahamic religions arose from a different historical context, and there are other non-Christian traditions in Asia and the Middle East, such as Zoroastrianism, that were monotheistic and have no connection to Christianity. You may be thinking of Sigmund Freud's book Moses and Monotheism that supposed Moses was a follower of Akhenaten, but Egyptologists have discredited this theory as psychohistory with no historical evidence.

Aten was not the first singular god, and it was already worshipped before Akhenaten's time as part of the polytheistic Egyptian pantheon. As pharaoh he used his power over time to elevate the Aten to the chief amongst the gods, and then ordered the construction of the city of Akhetaten and the closing of temples to other gods.

For a long time during his reign, the Aten was venerated as Aten-Ra-Horakhty, an aspect of the Aten combined with the gods Ra and Horus. Akhenaten was still a believer in the other gods, he only enforced the Aten as the sole god late. There was a very fierce religious-political battle between him and the priests of the chief god Amun that lasted right up until his death.

Wotan

and possibly caused his death, I hate Sigmund Freud (after a year of Psychology that I did not enjoy its hard not to) but I can see why he would be interested in Egypt

sometimes a pyramid,
is just a pyramid :p

LegendofJoe

Great post Libros.
I've also heard it said about Akhenaten that not only was he the first proponent of a type of monotheism, but also the first religious oppressor due to the closing of the temples. Some think he may have flipped out a bit after his wife, Nefertiti, died.