Xinjiang

Pegasus

Fascinating reading Rhonda, thanks for sharing! This opens another door to explore with so many possibilities, such as how and why the Celts were able to make it that far into China into one of the most remote regions. What were they looking for or trying to bring back with them? Amazing also that the desert perserved the mummies in such perfect detail, surpassing the Egyptians!

Rhonda Tharp

Yes, the Chinese do not want others to know about these mummies that have European connections. In fact, Confucian schools want to become part of the universities here in the states, and after having some come in, other universities are hearing that the Confucian schools will not allow the professors or guest speakers discuss Tibet. AT. ALL. Can we say propaganda????

Rhonda Tharp

I just received approval from the National Consortium for Teaching about Asia for my trip to Xinjiang this summer. I will be in China for 17 days, and will travel to this province, in the far western region (next door to Afghanistan!). Hopefully, I'll be able to take pics of the Buddhist caves and temples, Confucian schools, Great Wall, etc. I've already learned "wo shi yi ge you ke" (I'm a tourist, lol) and "wo bo dong" (I don't understand). This ought to be interesting :)

Rhonda Tharp

I leave in two weeks, and my itinerary includes: Temple of Heaven in Beijing, Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City's Palace Museum, Summer Palace, Great Wall, Museum of Terra Cotta Warriors in Xi'an, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Ming Dynasty City Wall, Mogao Grottos, Crescent Lake, Thousand Buddha Cave, Uighur and Afghan style mosques, museums in Urumqi, Hotan and Turpan with relics from 5,000 years ago from crossroads of Indian, Central Asian, Chinese, Russian, Middle Eastern and Greek cultures. Finally, Kashgar and Shanghai. Soooooo excited, I've never been off of the North American continent before :)