Women in history

Who are some of your favorite women in history?

I am absolutely fascinated by Anne Boleyn and everything about her. She seems like such an ambitious woman and I really do feel bad for her fate.

magickz

Charlotte Brontë stands out from many years ago when I was in high school and taking a class who ended up having a crazy year to start with. Our teacher had slipped on a sheet of ice and was out for every month following the first of the year, we had a great sub who ended up putting a little spin on the class and we had writing assignment. The teacher ended up giving mine back last and privately who also included a little booklet of Bronte's work and from that moment on I was hooked. ;)

Myrddin

Audrey Hepburn is my favourite actress from the 1950s and early '60s. LOVE Breakfast At Tiffany's and also like both Sabrina and Roman Holiday.

Rhonda Tharp

Boudica, Joan of Arc, Abigail Adams, Princess Diana to name a few of my faves. I had the privilege of meeting Benazir Bhutto in 2003 (first female prime minister of a Muslim country - Pakistan). She was assassinated in 2007 by the Taliban. Her father had been prime minister earlier of Pakistan and the Taliban had killed him and put Benazir and her mother in prison. She hid in exile for a while, it's a tragic story.

magickz

Hepburn is a very good one too. I remember growing up watching old movies (and many were westerns with the Duke in them). I forget the movie he and Hepburn shared....anyone know?

Allie-Gator

Harriet Tubman. She did so many trips in and out of slave territory to bring her fellow slaves to freedom. I remember reading about her when I was a child. I was very impressed by her courage and tenacity.

greekgoddess31

There are so many women throughout history that have changed the world that it is hard to pick just one. Aside from great women inventors (did you know that a woman invented windshield wipers?) there were great leaders like Harriet Tubman, Mother Theresa, and Indira Ghandi.

Rhonda Tharp

There are so many women throughout history that have changed the world that it is hard to pick just one. Aside from great women inventors (did you know that a woman invented windshield wipers?) there were great leaders like Harriet Tubman, Mother Theresa, and Indira Ghandi.
I liked your list of women. On a side note, did you know kevlar was discovered by Stephanie Kwolek? Night flares were created by a woman, then the US Navy tried to beat her to the patent office.

Arachne

Britain has given us lots of strong women to look up to - Boudica, Elizabeth I, "Bloody" Mary, and Victoria. Wasn't there also a pirate queen in Ireland? Grace O'Malley or O'Neill I think.

jerri

I love Sally Field (wanted to be a nun when I was very young). I also liked St. Theresa the little flower of Jesus and Marie Curie. Strange how my tastes have changed through the years. I'm so glad Sally is still with us though!