Witches and human sacrificies

Lorey

Why is that most people believe that witches use human or animal sacrifices? Witches use mostly herbs and leaves when casting "spells". A bay leaf, for example, is said to create positivity.

Nadai

I wonder if it could possibly be because there are different types of witches. In South America there are people who sacrafice chickens and pigs and read their entrails. Some countries in Africa still have witch doctors who remove the hearts of goats; they are the only ones who are allowed to sift through the organs and read them. I suppose that human sacrafice isn't such a leap either since there is evidence of human sacrifices all throughout MezoAmerica and Egypt and several other places. Perhaps people, not knowing better, lump all witches into one group and consider them to all practice the same since they all share the same name.

RLynn

Why is that most people believe that witches use human or animal sacrifices?.....
Why was it believed that Jews ate Christian babies? Such fabrications are monuments to the appalling capacity of human beings to believe almost anything, especially if it is particularly hideous or preposterous.

Dianna

There have been Christians who have sacrificed their own children because they thought God wanted them to. I think anyone who would sacrifice anyone is mad, and those things get blown way out of proportion.

LegendofJoe

I once was talking to a born again Christian about the fact that there are modern day witches. He said sarcastically if they sacrifice animals.
I found that funny since the God of the old Testament LOVED animal sacrifice.
He wallowed in "The sweet savor onto the Lord."
Both Jews and Pagans sacrificed animals.
Of course today few people do.

Isis

There's also Julius Caesar's account of the Wicker Man which involved human sacrifice. Since they were pagans and most witches self-identify as pagans, people lump them all together. Of course there is some suspicion that Julius Caesar just repeated something he'd heard since he never witnessed the rite himself.