Why SEVEN dwarves?

mmarcati

Why SEVEN dwarves?

Hello, everybody. There's something bugging me about Dwarves. Excuse me if this is a stupid question. :)

Is there a reason why the number of dwarves in Snow White and the number of Dwarf kings in Lord of the Rings is the same? Did Tolkien got it from Snow White? If so, why, is there any meaning to this number? Or is there a common origin for this number in both cases? Or is it all just coincidence and I'm overthinking it? :p

Thank you!

Tsukihime

i'll add another question, why the seven dragon balls (Dragonball Z)? Why seven star warriors (Fushigi Yuugi)?

Chintai

7 is linked to religion in areas such as the 7 days of creation. It also represents the 7 continents. I read somewhere it is considered to be a number signifying 'perfection'. The phrase 'lucky seven' is also common, and we talk of the seventh son of the seventh son as being magical.

cuzido

7 is linked to religion in areas such as the 7 days of creation. It also represents the 7 continents. I read somewhere it is considered to be a number signifying 'perfection'. The phrase 'lucky seven' is also common, and we talk of the seventh son of the seventh son as being magical.
This is really interesting. I never thought of it like that. I know the number 8 is significant to a new beginning and don't think I ever really looked up the meaning of the number seven. It is amazing some of the things you can learn when you get involved in forums. Thanks for the info.

Poolshark

Seven against Thebes, The Magnificent Seven. Seven brides for Seven brothers. It is a number that resonates deeply with us.

Rhonda Tharp

Got a few more...
I think some of these were mentioned on a previous thread...
7 tones in a musical scale
7 spots on a ladybug
7 seas
7 Sacraments
7 Deadly Sins
7 Wonders of the World
7 years bad luck for breaking a mirror
7 Chakras
7th Sign (of the Apocalypse)
Takes 7 years for gum to be digested in the stomach (proven wrong, but it seems to linger as an "old" wives tale)
Exodus 2:16 - says Moses was adopted by the Midianite smiths through his marriage to their priestess, one of 7 sisters
Matriarchal temples had 7 high priestesses, were also known as the 7 Pillars of Wisdom, or the 7 Mothers/7 Pillars of the Church
7 year term for Kingship in primitive Palestine
Babylon's Hanging Gardens occupied the seven stages of the ziggurat to create a Paradise like that of Hindu Gods
Koran said Allah made seven heavens and seven hells

Carl Jung struggled with the explanation why 3, 7, 9, and 12 were so prevalent in history and in everyday society.
Jung said 3 was masculine, 4 was feminine = creation

Chimeranick

Nearly all mammals have 7 cervical vertebrae.
There are 7 stellar objects visible to the naked eye: Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.
Also, pertaining to the original question, the roman numeral VII stands for White Dwarf stars in the Yerkes Spectral Classification Scheme.