Why is it always indian graveyards?

Isis

In movies and books, Indian (Native American) graveyards are frequently the source of local hauntings and other supernatural phenomena. Why do you suppose this is?

Myrddin

I guess because they are so surreal and serene. Just hearing about them invokes an ominous feeling.

greekgoddess31

I think it is because most Native American lands were the sites of brutal slayings and horrible deaths when they were forced onto reservations. I suspect that the Native American spirits would feel bound to the land or feel that they had unfinished business.

Allie-Gator

Well, we are scary you know. LOL Honestly, the ancestors walk among us all of the time. Sometimes we know it, sometimes we don't. There were so many atrocities committed against the Nations that I wouldn't be surprised if some of our ancestors are hanging around wanting revenge. Mwhahahahahaha!

jerri

I think it has more to do with ancient Indian lore concerning the afterlife. Modern Christianity doesn't have any place for hauntings. It's also kind of racism, if that's the word. Not sure if ethnicism is a word.

Isis

Well, we are scary you know. LOL Honestly, the ancestors walk among us all of the time. Sometimes we know it, sometimes we don't. There were so many atrocities committed against the Nations that I wouldn't be surprised if some of our ancestors are hanging around wanting revenge. Mwhahahahahaha!
Haha, now there is an unsettling thought. I think revenge is wrong, but I certainly wouldn't blame Native Americans for being rather upset over all that was done to them. It's a horrific aspect of American history.

I think it is always an "Indian burial ground" that causes hauntings in stories like those of The Shining and Amityville Horror because the deaths of the Native Americans were violent and wrong. They were slayed for being there. They were certainly not serene or at peace when they were slaughtered. The idea is that these wrong spirits want to find a way to "right" things, I believe.