Why are you interested in mythology?

DarkFolly

Since we're all on this forum we must all be interested in at least some aspect of mythology, right? So: why are you interested? :)

For myself, I'm interested in mythology because of the historical and sociological aspects of it. I like learning about myths and legends and how they affected the people that created them/lived by them/etc.

Isis

I became interested after learning the constellations. I enjoy seeing how ancient peoples used mythology to describe the world around them and life's origins, and I also like comparing similarities between myths of different cultures.

LegendofJoe

I think for me it is the same reason why others love sci-fi and fantasy: they are just really cool stories of larger than life figures.

TheLoreman

For me it was always born out of curiosity when I started coming across words like 'Phantasm' or sayings like 'Prometheum Fire' . I would look up the meaning and discover where the origins would come from and sure enough it was usually from Mythology. That in turn caused me to just fall into the stories and I was hooked thereafter. I was fortunate because around the time I discovered Greek mythology there was the kids TV show Ulysees 31 and that just fueled my curiosity even further.

Goddess2u

My interest in myths comes from my love for all things supernatural. I mean what are the odds that some of the things we consider myths are actually facts. Curiousity about things that are considered abnormal is a favorite pass time of mine just like studying ancient religions and such.

Lorey

I like it because even though some of them may or may not be true - myths have a way of influencing people or at least giving them something to consider.

Ren

I am currently completing my degree in History and a minor in Anthropology. Also, I have been studying Carl Jung's psycho-analytic theory and his thoughts on myth and the collective unconscious.

My love of mythology and everything related to urban legends stemmed from my interest in horror and ghost stories. I'm also interested in mythology because of the historical aspects. I've always loved history.

Dianna

Well, my sister is named after a Goddess and every pet we had growing up was named after either a god, goddess, philosopher or character. So I was doomed from the start to be interested in it. :)

Nadai

When I studied Anthropology I learned a lot about different cultures and their belief systems. I always found it interesting to read about other people and how they lived. When we studied more ancient cultures like the Mayans and Native Americans and the Inuit we found that they all had similar mythologies (the Flood, the Ages, etc.) and they created these stories to explain the world and their place in it. Greek myth is just as similar and just as amazingly interesting!