Where to start with roman mythology, if you like greek mythology

Vince

I'm a fan of Greek mythology, but honestly I don't know nearly as much about Roman mythology. One thing I hear often is that they are very similar. I'd like to read some stories that have marked differences. Any suggestions as to where to start?

LegendofJoe

There are some great books on Roman mythology.
For an overview read Jane Gardner's Roman Myths.
For a more in depth book, try Michael Grant's book of the same name.
You will find Roman myths to be very different from Greek myths.

Vince

I appreciate the suggestions, I will look for those books. I've wanted to get into Roman myths for a while, but hearing that the subjects were similar to those of the Greek myths made me a little less motivated. I'm glad to hear that they are indeed different.

Pegasus

Another part of what makes Roman myths interesting is how they made so many Gods to help watch out over the people and the jobs they were doing. Many of the Roman Gods have a place in our current day lives. It is interesting to see how Roman myths made such an impact. Happy reading and exploring.

That mars twin sons that were raised by a she wolf and the twin sons that founded Rome and started the stories and city! the only common trait that the greek and roman gods share are there family blood ties, thats it!

Nadai

Ovid was a Roman. I'd suggest reading any and all of his works.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hesiod's Theogany and Works and Days were Roman as well.

LegendofJoe

Ovid was a Roman. I'd suggest reading any and all of his works.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hesiod's Theogany and Works and Days were Roman as well.
Hesiod was a Greek writer. His two works are, I believe, second only to Homer in terms of age.