What's your favorite symbol associated with mythology?

Rhonda Tharp

From flowers, colors and motifs, to written languages like Sanskrit or Hieroglyphics, what's your favortite symbol?

Talaria

I have the Monas Hieroglyphica tattooed on my back. It was drawn for Maximillian by the famous John Dee. I also have a scarab beetle with pheonix wings. I love symbols! What are yours Rhonda?

Rhonda Tharp

I have the Monas Hieroglyphica tattooed on my back. It was drawn for Maximillian by the famous John Dee. I also have a scarab beetle with pheonix wings. I love symbols! What are yours Rhonda?
The tat sounds awesome. Have you seen Barbara Walker's "Women's Encyclopedia of Symbols?"
I have a few symbols that I like - Sanskrit "Aum", Nine-pointed star, and any Celtic knotwork, especially the trifoil (like my avatar).

FreyjaLilith

Yin and Yang, I've always loved that symbol even before I knew what it meant as a child. Its a perect representation of balance. I also like the Phoenix and Dragon, they are also used as a "Yin and Yang".

Poolshark

I took an ancient symbol and reworked it into a tattoo for myself. Let me post a pic of it and see if you can break it down. Hmm. I dont know how to put a pic into this post. lets see if uploading the file works. Ok, not much luck getting the picture going. How about a link?
http://flic.kr/p/8YppRw

Rhonda Tharp

I took an ancient symbol and reworked it into a tattoo for myself. Let me post a pic of it and see if you can break it down. Hmm. I dont know how to put a pic into this post. lets see if uploading the file works. Ok, not much luck getting the picture going. How about a link?
http://flic.kr/p/8YppRw
Cool - I see Sun, moon, snake with infinity in there... that's all I got :)

RLynn

Yin and Yang, I've always loved that symbol even before I knew what it meant as a child. Its a perect representation of balance. I also like the Phoenix and Dragon, they are also used as a "Yin and Yang".
Another Yin/Yang symbol is the hexagram (interlocking upward and downward pointing triangles), also known as the Star of David or Seal of Solomon. The Rose Cross (generally associated with alchemy, Lutheranism, and various not necessarily reputable organizations) also has an obvious Yin/Yang interpretation. I generally wear one of these 'wholeness' symbols as a pendant, currently a silver Star of David enclosed in a circle.

Richard

Talaria

The tat sounds awesome. Have you seen Barbara Walker's "Women's Encyclopedia of Symbols?"
I have a few symbols that I like - Sanskrit "Aum", Nine-pointed star, and any Celtic knotwork, especially the trifoil (like my avatar).
I have not seen her Encyclopedia, however, I have a HUGE symbol encyclopedia that has symbols and secret signs. Love it. I will look hers up online. I just recently started to get into Sanskrit, I had to look up the Aum symbol but recognized it right away. Awesome! I also love celtic knotwork since I am very very Irish. The triskele is cool too, its a symbol in so many regions all over the world. Odin has one(the 3 horns)I like his. What are the other symbols in your avatar? My next tattoos are going to be wings on my ankle aka the Talaria =) and I'm a massive LOTR geek so on one of my feet I am getting "Not all those who wander are lost" I also have Liberum Arbitrium on my wrists.

This question is a bit off topic, so if you know it I will start a thread, Do you by any chance know anything about the Pictish people of Scotland? I am trying to reseach something and I found a symbol that I believe is in the Pictish swirl script but it is so hard to find information on them that doesn't confuse me. Let me know if you have any info it would be appreciated.

Rhonda Tharp

I have not seen her Encyclopedia, however, I have a HUGE symbol encyclopedia that has symbols and secret signs. Love it. I will look hers up online. I just recently started to get into Sanskrit, I had to look up the Aum symbol but recognized it right away. Awesome! I also love celtic knotwork since I am very very Irish. The triskele is cool too, its a symbol in so many regions all over the world. Odin has one(the 3 horns)I like his. What are the other symbols in your avatar? My next tattoos are going to be wings on my ankle aka the Talaria =) and I'm a massive LOTR geek so on one of my feet I am getting "Not all those who wander are lost" I also have Liberum Arbitrium on my wrists.

This question is a bit off topic, so if you know it I will start a thread, Do you by any chance know anything about the Pictish people of Scotland? I am trying to reseach something and I found a symbol that I believe is in the Pictish swirl script but it is so hard to find information on them that doesn't confuse me. Let me know if you have any info it would be appreciated.
In regards to the Picts, all I know is that the word meant "red" as in red ash or red paint. Sorry, don't know any more :(

Talaria

I thought it meant blue...like blue blooded because they were so pale? Kind of like how William Wallace painted himself blue in battle. Where r u getting the red reference? I wonder if I'm completely mistaken.

Rhonda Tharp

I thought it meant blue...like blue blooded because they were so pale? Kind of like how William Wallace painted himself blue in battle. Where r u getting the red reference? I wonder if I'm completely mistaken.
I think I saw it in a Caitlin and John Matthews book, I'll try to find it. You know the blue thing makes sense too... reminds me of blood, blue in the body, red outside of the body...

Camma

Well, I see unicorns all the time ! So I'd have to say the unicorn horn is my favourite mythological symbol. As a horn it is symbolic of purity - when used as a wand the unicorn horn is a powerful symbolic aid to achieving wishes and goals in your personal and spiritual life.

Travis

Another Yin/Yang symbol is the hexagram (interlocking upward and downward pointing triangles), also known as the Star of David or Seal of Solomon.
Hexagram is my favorite symbol for its form and meaning. Besides Yin and Yang, it also symbolizes the perfect balance of our internal and external development.

VidaDuerme

The Grail, various runes, and anything associated with crossroads. This Veve in particular holds a fair bit of meaning for me:

I also love any sort of compass like symbol, particularly the ornate ones. Western points hold the most meaning.

Ren

After reading Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon, the various moon symbols associated with the goddess are beautiful to me.