What's your favorite flavor of Arthurian Legend?

AcadianSidhe

What's your favorite flavor of Arthurian Legend?

Arthurian legend comes wrapped in all sorts of packages. I'm sure we can imagine the reasons why: oral retellings, different literature styles as the ages passed...

What kind of Arthurian legend do you like best? The pagan flavor we've seen crop up in recent years trying to reconcile legend with history? Or the classical type that made milestones in Western literature?

Personally, I prefer the pagan kind, myself. The more mystery around the stories, the happier I am. But I also happen to be a firm believer that truth does not always equal fact, and that stories can become true, depending on how we perceive and learn from them.

Laurel Tavington

my thoughts

I agree, the pagan versions are much better. I read a books series called the Pendragon Cycle; written by Stephen Lawhead. He brought more of a trditional Celtic feeling to the Arthurian Ledgend, and added some Atlantin charators for spice. This has probably been one of my more favorit retellings of the Arthurian Ledgend.

AcadianSidhe

Laurel Tavington;887 said:
I agree, the pagan versions are much better. I read a books series called the Pendragon Cycle; written by Stephen Lawhead. He brought more of a trditional Celtic feeling to the Arthurian Ledgend, and added some Atlantin charators for spice. This has probably been one of my more favorit retellings of the Arthurian Ledgend.
my grandmother has those, but I haven't read them. I'm a big fan of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series (just read the Forest House for the first time)- she toys with the Atlantean theories as well. I don't believe all of it, and if it was at all real, I doubt atlantis had anything to do with it, but for stories- she gets my vote.