What was it that got you into mythology?

Last Spartan

My love of Greek mythology actually stemmed from playing the video game, God of War. After that, I sought out books, movies, other games, and such to expand my knowledge, which in turn led to a much wider interest in classical antiquity as a whole.

Regardless of what culture is your favorite, how did it come to interest you?

Misa

My love of mythology started when I went to the library in middle school and found a old copy of 'The Illustrated Book Of Myths: Tales and Legends of the World" by Neil Philip (Illustrated by Nilesh Mistry). It's been a long time since, but I still love world mythology and history. :)

kittywolfxxx

I used to study some greek mythology when I was little, it was part of some class project, but then I just sort of got fascinated, for a webcomic I'm planning, it involves the manifestation of the planets, and of course, the planets are respectively named after many mythological beings(i say beings because of orcus and such) any , I wanted to do more research and then the spark was relit again.

Myrddin

In high school, we studied Greek Mythology in grade 12 English class, and my love of the Greek myths began. Later I took a class in college that focused on Classical myth as well as Celtic, Native American, and Norse and since then I've been in love with everything mythology, though mainly Classical, Celtic, and Norse myth.

E. M.

Myrddin

Last Spartan, have you ever played the online game Runescape? It has elements of myth enveloped into the gaming experience (also some Arthurian Legend).

E. M.

Caburus

I had these two books as a child;

Myths of Hercules, Jason, Theseus and Perseus, that I read and reread many times.
I also had Ladybird's Aesop Fables, and stories of Ali Baba and Aladdin. My primary school had a teacher who would regularly tell us fairy tales from the Grimm Brothers, and my first year at Secondary school included a class reading of Beowulf.

I have always liked the creativity of the Greco-Romans and the Norse mythologies. I read those stories as a boy growing up, and recently I bought a book, "Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes" by Edith Hamilton, that was written in 1942 and is still in print. I am using it now to refesh my memory a bit. I always liked how the Greek Gods and Goddesses were so human-like. They understood the human race because they were like us in so many ways. A part of me always wondered if somewhere there wasn't still a tiny group of people, untouched by Christianity, that had never stopped worshipping the Gods. I don't mean neo-Pagans, but rather people who had ALWAYS worshipped them. Although I am a traditonal Jew, I too, have left a bit of my heart with the Greco-Roman Gods.

Shelvi

For every constellation, there is a Greek mythology to go with it. There are interesting stories about all the other constellations as well my mythology according to my birth. I always think that I am not so much lucky.

The Misfit

When I was in elementary school I borrowed the book D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths from my school library. It's really a wonderful book with amazing illustrations; I was captivated. I now own a copy. As a child, when I was reading it, I remarked to my father that the stories were so weird that I found it hard to believe that people actually believed in them. My father, an agnostic at the time, said that other people might say the same of my religion (I was being raised as a catholic). Now I'm Asatru.

Shinks

Similar to Misfit, I started in elementary school with D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths, but through both Certamen (a Latin competition) as well as Quizbowl (a general knowledge competition), I quickly found it to be one of my favorite subjects. Nowadays, as a high schooler in Texas, I spend a lot of time trying to read as much about mythology as possible, specifically more obscure myth systems (just started binge studying Lithuanian mythology).

Cryptid

Well first I was very much into Ghosts and supernatural stuffs since I was a kid. As I've seen some stuff in childhood I was determined I've to know more. Then it grows onto Urban mythical legends from all over the world. Lastly I land on mythology and occult sciences.