What really happened

DLegend

I'm playing Assassin's Creed game and the story is somewhat provocative. Do you believe that history is based on how the writer or historian said it even sometimes it is not what really happened?

Goddess2u

I definitely believe history is based on how the writer or historians recorded it. I also believe that it has been twisted to suit the authoritive figures of the times.

LegendofJoe

Ha ha. I played that game. It was okay, but not good enough to make me want to play the sequel. (Although I heard it is better).

RLynn

I'm playing Assassin's Creed game and the story is somewhat provocative. Do you believe that history is based on how the writer or historian said it even sometimes it is not what really happened?
History is an attempt to get at the truth of what really happened. If a historian is biased as to what constitutes truth, then their account may be suspect.

DLegend

It was okay, but not good enough to make me want to play the sequel. (Although I heard it is better).
I have the sequel and I say that it is far better than the first one. I have first bought AC2. I bought AC1 just because I like AC2 that much.

RLynn, I believe you are right and that is why a story from a historian should jive with other historical accounts so that it could be considered authentic.

Allie-Gator

Yup, it certainly does. You can read several different accounts of history and find their skew on it. The facts may be the same but when it came to telling the small things about what happened, that's all someone's opinion.

RLynn

I definitely believe history is based on how the writer or historians recorded it. I also believe that it has been twisted to suit the authoritive figures of the times.
You have touched on the horror of innacurate, twisted, and revisionist history. I strongly feel that historical accuracy is important in order to profit from it, especially as regards the avoidance of of past actions which have had destructive consequences.

Quentin Woolery

That's the truth! I've learned to take any account of history with a grain of salt. It is essential to do this with any account because you will learn the main points but also the opinions which do matter in my opinion. But I want as many opinions as possible so I don't trust just the skewed version.

RLynn

Another problem is overcompensating for past historical bias. For example, conservatives in Texas apparently have managed to require that schools use textbooks which are skewed to the right in order to compensate for what they perceive to have been formerly a liberal slant in education. Their reasoning is absurd. Two wrongs don't make a right (no pun intended).

Rhonda Tharp

Another problem is overcompensating for past historical bias. For example, conservatives in Texas apparently have managed to require that schools use textbooks which are skewed to the right in order to compensate for what they perceive to have been formerly a liberal slant in education. Their reasoning is absurd. Two wrongs don't make a right (no pun intended).[/qu

Interesting that you bring that up. I served on the Curriculum revisionist team and was told to my face by a State board member that I was too liberal to be on the team. I kept coming back, and she cornered me in the hall way last summer, asking me what liberal college I want to, i and I remarked that it was the same one she went to. TEXAS STATE BOARD of ED are idiots and I am embarrassed by the decisions they make. At one point they were asking our team to only put the "positives of slavery" in our curriculum WTF??? The Conservatives told us, "let's stress the part of out past where we freed the slaves, and helped them into society." I think I took blood pressure meds for a month after that conversation.

Attached is the state board and specifically the woman I came in contact with, wayyyyy tooo often. Daily Show puts her in her place :) What goes around comes around...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-march-17-2010/don-t-mess-with-textbooks (please excuse the first ten secondes...)

RLynn

Thanks so much for the link. Hilarious! "Somebody needs to stand up to the experts." I couldn't stop laughing. Humor helps me cope with the helpless feeling I get whenever closed-minded idiocy prevails.

RLynn

Thanks!!! That means a lot. I've just applied for another position to review the state test in regards to the new curriculum, but I'm afraid she'll see my name on the ballot and vote someone else in, we'll see :)
That woman is typical of the present incarnation of no-nothings. Prejudice has an unfortunate tendency to trump logic. Good luck to you, Rhonda!

LegendofJoe

That woman is typical of the present incarnation of no-nothings. Prejudice has an unfortunate tendency to trump logic. Good luck to you, Rhonda!
These ultraconservatives make me nervous. I particularly abhor when they try and get creationism into the biology classroom by calling it "intelligent design theory." It is no use trying to explain to them why this is not science; you will just get accused of being liberally biased.

RLynn

A friend of mine (who was in the US Air Force) said that if a certain well-known ultraconservative from Alaska were ever elected president, he would emigrate to New Zealand. I pondered this for awhile, and then realized that of all English-speaking countries, NZ may be the farthest distant from this part of the US. :)

Rhonda Tharp

A friend of mine (who was in the US Air Force) said that if a certain well-known ultraconservative from Alaska were ever elected president, he would emigrate to New Zealand. I pondered this for awhile, and then realized that of all English-speaking countries, NZ may be the farthest distant from this part of the US. :)
Hahaha, my husband and I were discussing moving to Australia!

DLegend

So going back to our history, do you think that our history could be revised without any prejudices? Every story has two sides to tell and that is what we should try to learn when reading a history. We should also look at both perspectives so that we can really understand what happened.