What are you doing new year's eve?

WinterWitch

Do you ever incorporate any rituals or superstitions into New Year's Eve? I was reading an article where the author suggests banishing negative energy right after midnight. You write down something you want to "let go of" and then use a match or lit candle to light the piece of paper. The negative energy is then released with the smoke.

LegendofJoe

I prefer to be alone on New Year's Eve.
Just another end to another mediocre year and the start of a new mediocre year.:(

Setharoth

LegendofJoe, that's sad. That really is. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, too.

I've never had any sort of ritual for New Year's Eve really, although the last week/first week each year is my time for re-evaluating what I've accomplished over the past year and what I want to accomplish over the coming year.

greekgoddess31

I don't hold onto anything(emotionally) so I guess I don't have anything to let go of. We don't do anything superstitious or anything, we are just going to a really nice dinner.

LegendofJoe

LegendofJoe, that's sad. That really is. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, too.

I've never had any sort of ritual for New Year's Eve really, although the last week/first week each year is my time for re-evaluating what I've accomplished over the past year and what I want to accomplish over the coming year.
I suppose you are right.
I tried telling myself to have a better attitude.
I'm just tired of dissapointment.

RLynn

I don't really celebrate the annual calendar change. I suppose it's as good an excuse as any to party. I may greet 2012 with a bottle of Prosecco. (I don't especially like Champagne.) For me the new year begins either at the vernal equinox or the winter solstice. I haven't made up my mind yet. :confused:

WinterWitch

I don't really celebrate the annual calendar change. I suppose it's as good an excuse as any to party. I may greet 2012 with a bottle of Prosecco. (I don't especially like Champagne.) For me the new year begins either at the vernal equinox or the winter solstice. I haven't made up my mind yet. :confused:
Well, if your going by the seasons to arrive at a new year, the days get longer after the winter solstice. Things start to awaken as it moves into spring and die off as seasons shift to fall. So winter seems to make the most sense as the beginning and fall as the end. I guess it's whatever you feel the most comfortable with.

RLynn

Probably since the Sun was in Aries (just barely, dangerously near Taurus) when I was born, I tend to favor the spring equinox, but the winter solstice logically makes more sense.

fairywings

The only ritual I take part in is eating 12 grapes at the stroke of midnight. I believe this ritual originated in Spain. I like the idea of "letting go" by lighting a piece of paper on fire with these things written on them. Maybe I will incorporate that this year!

RLynn

My wife, who was born in Cuba and whose parents were from Spain, insisted on observing the twelve grapes ritual at midnight.

Oak Leaves

We may have company for a bit and then visit my aunt and cousin who are visiting from Washington, D.C. There are still some year-end projects I wanted to finish up, but they may have to wait until 2012.

Myrddin

I may greet 2012 with a bottle of Prosecco. (I don't especially like Champagne.)
That's what I did. My family and I played yuker until midnight, at which time we celebrated with a glass of Prosecco. Then we went on to playing Wii. (Ending up going to bed around about 4:00.)

Myrddin

Prosecco?!
I must try that!
Prosecco is mighty fine. I love it. It's not champagne at all, really, and much more a sparkling wine. It is corked the same way as champagne though, and is best if you use a tea towel to help uncork it as it provides more control and grip on the cork (with the tea towel, you can easily use a hand to grip, twist and pull, and it pops easy peasy into the towel).

Toni

There's always a big bunch of us that get together at a local restaurant and ring in the new year with sparkling grape juice. That way, no one has trouble getting home and it's a great way to begin the year.

RLynn

Prosecco is mighty fine. I love it. It's not champagne at all, really, and much more a sparkling wine. It is corked the same way as champagne though, and is best if you use a tea towel to help uncork it as it provides more control and grip on the cork (with the tea towel, you can easily use a hand to grip, twist and pull, and it pops easy peasy into the towel).
That's exactly the way I uncork it.

LegendofJoe

So far the new year started off with my cat dying,
being called for jury duty,
and a miserable karaoke party where I did not know anybody and
had to pay a fee for being there; on top of the gift I gave!!!!
So much for trying to be positive for a more than mediocre new year!:(