What are some urban legends around where you live?

CancerLeo

Every place has urban legends surrounding it, whether it be a ghost or some kind of goulish monster. What are some urban legends where you live?

We have this one ghost called simply "the black man" that appears as a mysterious shadow in one part of town, on a bridge.

Goddess2u

Does anyone have crop circles? I know in many towns and areas this is a big deal and to me I find it to be an urban legend in a sense.

Wotan

well I am Australian, so we have the Bunyip, it is a large creature/monster that lives in rivers and makes these strange noises (which people have attributed to actualy being Koalas mating). I am not sure if they eat people as I am not that interested in Aboriginal dream time, but the Bunyip is probably one of Australia's most well known mythical creatures.

Myrddin

I know one from London, Ontario where the Grand Theatre is supposed to be haunted by the original owner, Ambrose Small who disappeared without a trace in 1919.

I can't think of any urban legends about where I live now but I remember when my father lived in Lemore, CA I would visit him and to get to his house we would pass this big barn that looked abandoned. We used to say that the original Edward Scissorhands lived in there and if you looked closely you could see him in the window sometimes. As a child there was also a big mansion in my town, the Whitmore Mansion, that looked so creepy everybody would have 'stories' about what had happened there.

Allie-Gator

We have a couple of places that are supposedly haunted that I know of. There is also a place where a man was burned at the stake near a river a couple of counties over. The ones who reported it say they could hear the Native Americans chanting, the man screaming and see the flames from the fire.

Frumpy

In the 1950s a story went around about a pond in Monmouth County, New Jersey. It said that there was a trail that native American men used to return from fishing in the ocean to where their women were camped. There was a large pond closed by. One evening a large flock of geese landed on the pond. Overnight the pond froze and when the geese took off in the morning they took the ice that was attached to them away and no more pond has been there ever since.

mythlvr

I live in Washington State and we have Big Foot sightings here. They have been going on for over 20 years.

Arachne

Bigfoot sightings where I live too though lol. There's also tons of ghost stories everywhere you look. Some of my coworkers are convinced our job is haunted.

When I lived in Texas I remember hearing that there were some railroad tracks nearby that were haunted by some children that were hit by a train while playing on the tracks. People always said if you went there at night you would hear screams.

Myrddin

When I lived in Texas I remember hearing that there were some railroad tracks nearby that were haunted by some children that were hit by a train while playing on the tracks. People always said if you went there at night you would hear screams.
Oh, so eerie. Love it!

TheLoreman

Where I live in England, in a village called Biddenden, there was a pub called the Castleton's oak, which according to local lore had been named after a gentleman called Castleton who used to walk around the area carrying his coffin around with him. Apparently he was so peturbed by dying and having nowhere to rest in peace that he made sure never to wander without his coffin.
The pub sign was an illustration of him sat on his coffin. I'll see if I can find it on the net...

and here it is: