What age to introduce mythological stories and characters

Isabelle

What do you think is a good age to start introducing mythological characters and stories? I saw a really beautiful set of hard mythological books meant for children. I am considering getting them for my daughter for Christmas, but she is only two. What do you think...is she too young for them?

Nadai

I don't think so. My kids are one and three. I've been reading mythology to them since they were born. They seem to enjoy it as much as any toddlers enjoy books.
I figure that, even if they don't understand the meanings or morals of the myths, it's still nice to read them so that when they get older they will have an interest and already know several of the myths. If parents can start teaching their children about religion as babies I figure, why not mythology-as long as they're PG of course.
I prefer myths to fairytales anyway. Too many fairytales are centered around a poor helpless, but ridiculously beautiful woman, who needs a man to rescue her. All the man has to do is crook his finger and she agrees to be his wife. They go off and live happily ever after. Stories like that get my goat and I prefer to not even read them to my daughter. The last thing I want is my girl growing up thinking that all she has is a pretty face, though she's a beauty, and that she can't offer anything to the world; that she needs a man in her life to survive and be happy. I'll take fire-breathing dragons, babies with wings, or a king with asses ears any day.

What do you think is a good age to start introducing mythological characters and stories? I saw a really beautiful set of hard mythological books meant for children. I am considering getting them for my daughter for Christmas, but she is only two. What do you think...is she too young for them?
Reading to your children in general whilst they're young is a good thing. Just start out with some of the easier myths and work your way out. there is an excellent series of books—I think they are called the Junior Classics Library—which include a few volumes of fairytales, myths and legends. Try looking those up when your daughter is a little older!

I prefer myths to fairytales anyway. Too many fairytales are centered around a poor helpless, but ridiculously beautiful woman, who needs a man to rescue her. All the man has to do is crook his finger and she agrees to be his wife. They go off and live happily ever after. Stories like that get my goat and I prefer to not even read them to my daughter. The last thing I want is my girl growing up thinking that all she has is a pretty face, though she's a beauty, and that she can't offer anything to the world; that she needs a man in her life to survive and be happy. I'll take fire-breathing dragons, babies with wings, or a king with asses ears any day.
Some are like this, certainly, but there are a large number which don't even feature female characters at all. I'd give a rough estimate that a quarter of the folktales I've read are the "damsel in distress" variety.

Nadai

I always reccomend Edith Hamilton's Mythology. There aren't many pictures, but it's a great read for young children. I started with that for my kids then went on to Ovid's Metamorphosis. I reccomend Hamilton more for kids, but because I love Ovid so much I tend to go back to him more often for my kids.

I always reccomend Edith Hamilton's Mythology. There aren't many pictures, but it's a great read for young children.
Excellent book! I devoured that when I first read it.

Hamilton's book would also serve as an excellent introduction and foundation for mythology, and when they are older, they can handle Bulfinch's with ease and familiarity.

Isabelle

Thanks guys! I appreciate your input! I went back over the weekend and bought the set of books because I didn't want someone else to snatch them up first and they only had one. :)