Weather in mythological times

fibi ducks

I sometimes wonder if weather was a bit cooler a few thousand years ago. I worked for a while in Crete by the sea, and there were some basins in the rock of the sea bed that were said to have been Minoan grain stores, but the sea levels have risen and now they'r under water. And I read the same thing about the Scilly Isles off Cornwall - that at exceptionally low tides you can find walls and such part buried in the shifting sands. Was the global sea level lower in mythological times? Could it have been more ice at the poles from a cooler climate?

Myrddin

Hard to say what the weather would have been like a few thousand years ago -- I'm no geologist (my sister is though, maybe I could ask her :)). It is quite possible though, I'm sure. What was it that you were working on in Crete, if you don't mind my asking?

E. M.

fibi ducks

Thankks Myrddin, the reason I'm interested is that when I imagine the Mediteranian in ancient times I think of it as more lush than it is now. Just wondered if I'm right. (I guess this idea comes from descriptions of scenery and wildlife I absorbed over time reading stories).

Oh and in Crete I had a job for a summer building a path for tourists to walk on in the archeological site at Mochlos. It was a Minoan settlement and is a tiny island off the main island. It was an american dig and there were lots of students from a uni in north carolina - i can't think of the name of the place now. I didn't know any mythology then - pity huh? Did you ever get a chance to go there?

Myrddin

Oh and in Crete I had a job for a summer building a path for tourists to walk on in the archeological site at Mochlos. It was a Minoan settlement and is a tiny island off the main island. It was an american dig and there were lots of students from a uni in north carolina - i can't think of the name of the place now. I didn't know any mythology then - pity huh? Did you ever get a chance to go there?
I've never been that far around the world. I would certainly like to, though. Would you ever go back, now that you know the mythology?

fibi ducks

I've never been that far around the world. I would certainly like to, though. Would you ever go back, now that you know the mythology?
Well, I would go back yes. But this would be something I'd like to go with a tour group for. I don't drive and I don't really have a strong focus on where I'd like to see - in myth terms.
Anywhere you'd head for?
REcently I'v e been reading English and Welsh stories. Some of the people here are said to have come over from Troy (they seem to have gone to a lot of places). And that gives a bit of continuity. I live in London and its quite exciting to recognise some of the places.
Where are you based?

Myrddin

Anywhere you'd head for?
I don't have any specific places I want to go; I'd just like to see Europe in general. Scotland; England; Paris, France; Rome, Italy; Venice, Italy; Italy in general; Romania; Switzerland; Greece; and either Sweden or Norway. Also Germany, mainly for the Black Forest -- you know, the forest that the Grimm Brothers were inspired by.

Where are you based?
I am based in another city of London.

E. M.