Vikings!

I think the Vikings were

• Total voters
"God deliver us from the fury of the Northmen."
-Old English Monastic Prayer

Scandinavia is overpopulated; fishing and the crop do not feed enough. The land harbors pitiless winters and is veined by rivers clogged with ice. The world is less and less generous each spring. Only the fittest could survive here; but now, harsh nature's gloom has rejected even them. To stay in the north, to remain on the Fjord is to know nothing new if not nothing at all.

They say the heat of the world comes from the south. Thus, farmers and craftsmen, under the watchful guardian eye of Thor, look to their warriors, who send their prayers not to Thor, but instead obey the commands of his mysterious, wise and violent father, Odin, only to be heard by the able elect- the warrior caste. For them the master boat-wrights take their traditional, simple and sturdy coastal craft and build a simple, versatile, and sturdy ship worthy of the deep, the water filled chasm that separates their people, the ward of the Aesir, from the fertile land and riches to the south and to the west.

The only thing between man and fate is fear, a phenomenon long since disregarded by their way of life. They cannot know the yet unknown, but they are resolved to face it bravely. The mist swallows the serpent prow as they leave, soon there is nothing but the fog. Alone, trekking across the deep, they know if they are to die, it will be in glorious battle for their own and their home. The reason for life, a warrior's life, is to end it well. The future belongs to the fearless.

The Viking age has begun. It is the middle of the 8th century; The western Roman world has crumbled, leaving the continent largely unorganized and scant by the classical definitions of civilization. It is in this new world that the Vikings, the term meaning to explore, traded, fought, worked, and learned, making a name for themselves as the fiercest, most merciless, and costliest warrior tribes to have ever set foot on the continent proper.

Now, we may all know about this romanticized version of the Vikings, but how much do we know about them really? Though some things I will post here are bizarre and wouldn't have been guessed about them, the most frightening (and interesting) facts are those that will illuminate just how closely these fearless and often brutal explorers really did, in actuality, follow their adventurous mythos to a place in history undeniably fascinating to scholars and important to a full understanding of European or even world development.

}Please! Feel free to post questions/comments/anything! Let's get some discourse going on!

For starters, here's a good comprehensive map of Viking trade routes and explorations.

That's right! Dublin was first established as a Viking trading post. They were also first to reach the Americas over the Atlantic.

The Vikings could sail the rivers of Eurasia and then by putting their ships on giant rollers, often felled trees, traverse strips of land between the waterways to go as far south as Baghdad!

Talaria

What an awesome chunk of research you have here! I think the quote that best describes the Viking thought(from what I understand) is said by Niccolo Machiavelli "It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both." I actually do think this group of people were ahead of their time and even though on the surface they seem to be a fearsome bunch, I think without them our knowledge of the vast World could have turned out different. Great discussion starter! I want to hear more.

Bona Dea

The Viking history is really interesting. They're not just the vicious pointy helmet people we think of when they're mentioned.

I've recently been finding out about their involvement in the UK in 1066 - if it hadn't been for the Viking invasion in the North on the country a matter of weeks before the Norman invasion then British history might have been completely different

Camma

I read somewhere that Vikings ate mushrooms before battle I wonder if they were of the hallucinogenic variety ? If so, the effects could have given rise to some of the myths surrounding Vikings in full battle flow ! Does anyone know anything about the mushroom habits of the norsemen ?

indianaj

I read somewhere that Vikings ate mushrooms before battle I wonder if they were of the hallucinogenic variety ? If so, the effects could have given rise to some of the myths surrounding Vikings in full battle flow ! Does anyone know anything about the mushroom habits of the norsemen ?
I think what you are referring to are The Berserkers, they were a group of vikings which supposedly when going into battle were under a rage that made them fearless and impervious to pain, how this state was achieved nobody actually knows, but mushrooms are one of the theories floating around.

Delilah

For starters, here's a good comprehensive map of Viking trade routes and explorations.

That's right! Dublin was first established as a Viking trading post. They were also first to reach the Americas over the Atlantic.

The Vikings could sail the rivers of Eurasia and then by putting their ships on giant rollers, often felled trees, traverse strips of land between the waterways to go as far south as Baghdad!
My husband's family lives just north of Dublin and can trace their family all the way back to the Vikings who established Dublin. Their name is Danish and I thought it an odd name for an Irishman when I met him. :)

Goddess2u

My dad has a disease in his hands that cause them to curl up and the doctor told him that it could be traced back to Vikings. Now my dad laughs and says he has a Viking's disease. I did trace our family on his side back to the Vikings which was really interesting.

DLegend

The Vikings are just trying to live their lives in the way they know how. I think the Vikings are given bad images because of the pillaging of towns but if we try to look at the other races in those times then we will see that the Vikings are not different. I guess they are just scarier or braver than the others so they are branded as such.