Vampires

LilOne1989

Vampires

What do you know about Vampires? I was just reading a book and there are hundreds of them throughout history. It seems like every culture has their own version of vampires and what they do.

palefrost

I love vampire stories. I think the major appeal to me is the mystery around them and the immortality aspect. I love reading how authors change the lore depending on who is writing. Anne Rice did a wonderful job of making them sort of romantically tragic and later others made them into sex images. The only identifying trait remaining in all the tales is the immortality. Worth biting a neck or two for. :p

jason

empty
I've seen a few documentaries on them. Like how Dracula was kind of based off of Vlad the Impaler.

Many cultures have stories about vampires. You have the Lilu which are vampire-like spirits of early Babylonion demonology. They were female and said to hunt during the dark going after newborn babies and pregnant women. In India you have the vetalas, which inhabit corpses. In some Roman tales you have a nocturnal bird that fed on human flesh and blood called the Strix.

vicki2

Vampires have provided such rich fodder for stories and movies ...all because it's really hard to understand them. Is it legend, are they real, are they still around? It's all up for grabs still!

Plumley

I agree, vampires have a sort of mysterious appeal. Frank Langella's Dracula was quite sexy, as was Gary Oldman's. There was even something a little sensuous about Bell Lugosi's. The tales keep changing in the retelling but I find most of them fascinating.

LyricB

Isn't it weird how such a tragic figure would be portrayed with a sensuality to them? Must be the neck-biting thing.

palefrost

Oo the neck biting is HAwt! I totally agree on frank's Dracula...I would have waited up with the window open for him. :D

Maggielle

Then let me tell you the tragedy of this belief modern day. If you ever go to New Orleans visit Jackson Square at night. In the park under the moon the runaway children with sharpened fangs bite each other on the neck and worship all in the name of Lestat. This is the modern day myth born from Anne Rice and fed by her. These children are spreading disease and terror waiting for their dreams to come true. Are you such a child? or would you await the dream alone in your room?

LilOne1989

That sounds like more of an issue for the department of social services and the police (I know they stink) but I was looking more for the made up version rather than kids doing whatever they can to pass the time.

Melos

I know two people who call themselves vampires. They drink eachother's blood. I've read a great book by Katherine Ramsland (Anne Rices' biographer) about a sociological study of vampires, role-players, and blood fetishists in the world today (or whenever the book was written). These actual 'vampires' have little in common with those of lore.

Plumley

There will always be people who contrive to twist a concept, belief or legend for reasons of their own. That doesn't make the original idea wrong or bad. The issue is what causes the need to do this. I'm willing to bet the root of the problem doesn't lie in Anne Rice's books.

htmlmaster

To be honest, I have no idea where these came from. I happen to know that there were a few insane monarchs who liked to drink blood, but they were human.

taiarain

IIRC, the original concept of vampires developed in response to burying people alive. There was a time when someone in a coma could be mistaken for dead. Imagine the terror instilled in a bystander when the "dead" relative suddenly returned to life.

I'm sure there are some good links with more info, but I'm not up for husking corn tonight.

Taia

LyricB

Melos;162 said:
I know two people who call themselves vampires. They drink eachother's blood. I've read a great book by Katherine Ramsland (Anne Rices' biographer) about a sociological study of vampires, role-players, and blood fetishists in the world today (or whenever the book was written). These actual 'vampires' have little in common with those of lore.
I've met some people like that and they seem like they need therapy to me. I used to go to a dance club where it was customary to bite each other's necks as a greeting (don't ask).

lilyrose

I was just going to ask about that but since you said not too. :D I had often figured it as a legend that someone made up. I have heard of the strange people who believe that they are vampires and drink blood. Luckily I have never met those people in a club anywhere.

vicki2

So was the first vampire really Lillith? That was Adam's first wife, who left him for Lucifer? Anyone believe that one?

Melos

Well, I don't believe it, but, from the stories that I have read, Lilith seemed more like a demonish feminist to me.

LyricB

Okay guys, someone is going to need to explain the whole Lilith story to me because I have never heard of it.

LyricB

fiannawolf, can you shed a little more light on this topic? Apparently I'm the only one here who isn't familiar with it.