Urban legends - mother takes care

During the Great Depression, many people were hungry, in fact starving. There was a store owner who was doing OK for himself and his family. He wasn't wealthy but he was providing and had a home he could go to at the end of the day.

One day, a woman came into the store. She went to the milk display and picked up two bottles of milk. She walked toward the store owner who was behind the counter. He asked for a dime for the two bottles but she just turned around and left the store without saying a word or paying.

The next day, the woman came back carrying the milk bottles and placed them in the return rack. She picked up two new bottles and left without saying a word or paying. The store owner thought perhaps she was one of the migrant workers who worked in an orchard nearby and just didn't have the money to play. He had always felt a bit guilty because his family was sheltered, had enough to eat and had adequate clothing. He thought he may ask the woman the next day if she would like a job in the store to help her out, if she returned. He didn't need the help but he thought perhaps they could barter work for food for her family.

The NEXT day, she entered the store and returned the milk bottles. She selected two new bottles and approached the counter. The man started to speak to her to present his idea. She turned quickly at the sound of his voice and ran out of the store. He hastened to follow her and called to his friend who owned a store across the street. Both men ran after the woman and followed her to a local cemetery. She ran to a grave in the back corner and disappeared over a grave that was fresh. The two men called others and they dug up the grave to see where she went.

When they opened the casket, there was the woman the store owner had seen coming in to his store every day. She was dead and had two milk bottles in her hands. Before they could go farther in the investigation, they heard a baby crying. The started examining the woman and lifted up her skirts. There, laying between the woman's thighs was a baby-alive. She had been pregnant when she died and in the days before embalming, people were put in the ground quickly.

Did this mother come back from the grave to feed her baby? It's an urban legend, scary but not true. Makes for a good ghost story for Halloween though doesn't it?

Nadai

Kind of creepy, but also sweet to think that a woman would go through so much trouble as to come back from the dead to feed her baby. That can't be easy! I wonder how they explained how she could have gotten the milk into the grave-she'd float through, but I'd think the milk would just end up wasted;)

greekgoddess31

I am just wondering how on Earth a dead woman would deliver a baby? I would think that without the assistance of her pushing the baby would just end up stuck in the birth canal. It is pretty creepy though.

Nadai

I am just wondering how on Earth a dead woman would deliver a baby? I would think that without the assistance of her pushing the baby would just end up stuck in the birth canal. It is pretty creepy though.
Maybe she wasn't dead when they buried her. Maybe she woke up and found herself buried alive and birthed the baby and later died from complications or something or other, but her spirit remained to care for her baby.

Enertia

Now, I have a ghost story to tell, that most people might not have heard. Thanks, for sharing that urban legend. The story kind of freaks me out, though.

Enertia

Now, I have a ghost story to tell, that most people might not have heard. Thanks, for sharing that urban legend. The story kind of freaks me out, though.

Allie-Gator

Geez! Thanks for the nightmares! It is an urban legend so it doesn't have to make sense. But the visual is killing me. I've always had a fear of being buried alive. As a matter of fact, I've asked my family to cremate me when I die so they can make sure I'm dead.

Nadai

Geez! Thanks for the nightmares! It is an urban legend so it doesn't have to make sense. But the visual is killing me. I've always had a fear of being buried alive. As a matter of fact, I've asked my family to cremate me when I die so they can make sure I'm dead.
Ditto. Glad to know I'm not the only one:)

Allie-Gator

I know, right? It really freaks me out to think they may put me in that little coffin and I wake up. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

Well, these days when the mortician gets you ready, you would have to be dead because of modern embalming techniques. Believe me, no one could survive after they get done with you.