Unwritten history

DLegend

Many legends and tales are derived from historical events. In the old times, many civilization don't have the means to record these events so the elders tell these stories their children. Then these children will tell the same stories to their children. But as time pass by, the stories become exaggerated. This is the reason why I believe many of the legends and tales are true but the real story might have been different if there is a written record about it.

Rhonda Tharp

From bards and poets to campfires and sleepovers, stories have been told 1,000 times over.
Love how things get exagerated over the years - "I heard William Wallace had the strength of 50 men...50!"

Boudica

It reminds me of the children's game that we used to play, I think it was called telephone or something like that. You would start at one end of the circle, tell that person something and it would be passed down until the end. The person at the end always had something so off the wall from what it was started with!

DLegend

It reminds me of the children's game that we used to play, I think it was called telephone or something like that. You would start at one end of the circle, tell that person something and it would be passed down until the end. The person at the end always had something so off the wall from what it was started with!
Right! Now imagine a story being told a hundred or a thousand times over a long period of time. So I would assume that the old gods might have come from a true story but they could be extraordinary humans and not really gods.

Dianna

I believe that legends do have a spark of truth behind them. Long ago telling stories orally was not out of the ordinary. In time periods where there was little written language or people could not read it was very normal. There were people, and there whole job was to travel around spreading stories.