Unicorns

Nadai

That's the exact book I meant. Have you read "The Robber Bride-Groom" yet? It's a pretty creepy one. "All Fur" is a good one as well. Definitely less creepy.
I'll try to take a look when I get a free moment. Thanks Myrddin.

Nadai

I believe there are 211 fairy tales written by the Grimm Brother's, though not all are authored by both of them. I believe Jacob Grimm wrote about 5 or 6 on his own. Somewhere around there. Just about any "Complete Tales of the Grimm Brothers'" will contain at least most of them, though if you can find the one introduced by Jack Zipes, with a lavendar colour-schemed cover, that would be the one that contains all 211. (I think it's third edition.)
I went to the bookstore today to find the Grimm Fairytales. I was so excited because I found it right away! I went home so excited to read it. When I opened it up I realized that it was the wrong book. I got a book called The Grimm Legacy. I didn't notice at first because the cover of the book has GRIMM in big letters and Legacy beneath in little letters. The book is about a girl who works in a library that has artifacts rather than books. In the basement she finds artifacts from the Grimm tales like Little Red Cap's cap, etc. I'm so disappointed! Needless to say it's going back tomorrow!

LegendofJoe

I'd never heard of unicorns being mentioned in the Bible. Could you point me to where in the Bible it mentions them, I would like to read that over. Very thirsty interesting.
As for blood-thirsty unicorns, I'd never heard of such a thing. It's very cool to think about how many different versions of the same stories there are. I love the comparison.
I've heard that the Grimm tales are pretty cool, but I've never taken a look at them. I saw the end of The Brothers Grimm movie. I'm very interested now; I guess I'll have to find these books.
It is in The King James version of the bible.
I believe it is found in Job.

LegendofJoe

I'd never heard of unicorns being mentioned in the Bible. Could you point me to where in the Bible it mentions them, I would like to read that over. Very thirsty interesting.
As for blood-thirsty unicorns, I'd never heard of such a thing. It's very cool to think about how many different versions of the same stories there are. I love the comparison.
I've heard that the Grimm tales are pretty cool, but I've never taken a look at them. I saw the end of The Brothers Grimm movie. I'm very interested now; I guess I'll have to find these books.
One place is Job 39. But it is mentioned in other places as well.
It is only in the King James version that you will find it.
More recent translations use other terms.
Why was unicorn used in the KJV? Some think it did not mean unicorn the way we think of it.
It could have just been a rhinoceros.

Nadai

One place is Job 39. But it is mentioned in other places as well.
It is only in the King James version that you will find it.
More recent translations use other terms.
Why was unicorn used in the KJV? Some think it did not mean unicorn the way we think of it.
It could have just been a rhinoceros.
Thank you, LegendofJoe. I'll see if I can find it.

Nadai

That's the exact book I meant. Have you read "The Robber Bride-Groom" yet? It's a pretty creepy one. "All Fur" is a good one as well. Definitely less creepy.
I just finished The Robber Bridegroom it was...interesting...and, yes, very creepy. It was a good one, though. I couldn't find All Fur on the list:(

Myrddin

I just finished The Robber Bridegroom it was...interesting...and, yes, very creepy. It was a good one, though. I couldn't find All Fur on the list:(
In that exact same book, that which is introducesd and translated by Jack Zipes, "All Fur" is number 65, on page 239. And I stand corrected. There are 279 tales all together. (Your inquiry having given me the need to bring out my copy.) Should you have any other fairy tale related questions, feel free to ask. I love this stuff!

Nadai

In that exact same book, that which is introducesd and translated by Jack Zipes, "All Fur" is number 65, on page 239. And I stand corrected. There are 279 tales all together. (Your inquiry having given me the need to bring out my copy.) Should you have any other fairy tale related questions, feel free to ask. I love this stuff!
You'll definately be the one I run to.
...By the way your icon totally scared the crap out of me! It's midnight here and I'm sitting alone in bed with no lights on! Needless to say that after this post I'm heading straight for my lamp!!!

Myrddin

You'll definately be the one I run to.
...By the way your icon totally scared the crap out of me! It's midnight here and I'm sitting alone in bed with no lights on! Needless to say that after this post I'm heading straight for my lamp!!!
Sorry about that. That wasn't exactly my intent.

Nadai

I finally got the Grimm fairytales on my kindle. It's not by Jack Zipes, but it's pretty good.
Have you seen the previews on abc for GRIMM? It's a new series about, obviously, the Grimm fairytales. I might take a look to compare.

Myrddin

I finally got the Grimm fairytales on my kindle. It's not by Jack Zipes, but it's pretty good.
Have you seen the previews on abc for GRIMM? It's a new series about, obviously, the Grimm fairytales. I might take a look to compare.
I have. I definitely plan on checking it out. Next Friday at 8:00 I believe.

Alejandro

I am currently reading a fiction book about unicorns in which they are described as being horrible, blood thirsty creatures that can only be killed by virgins. I can find nothing saying that they are horrible but then again, this book is fiction.
Well, I don't know about "horrible" or "bloodthirsty," but ancient Greek and Roman writers describe them as terrifyingly ferocious. Pliny the Elder says that the unicorn is the fiercest of all animals, and goes on to give a really weird description of it as a creature which seems to look like with a horse with a stag's head, an elephant's feet, a boar's tail, a deep bellow, and a single black horn three feet long projecting from the middle of its forehead. He says that "They say that it is impossible to capture this animal alive." The "they", who don't seem to have believed the angle about virgins, includes a 6th-century Egyptian merchant named Cosmas Indicopleustes, who tells us "that all its strength lies in its horn. When it finds itself pursued and in danger of capture, it throws itself from a precipice, and turns so aptly in falling, that it receives all the shock upon the horn, and so escapes safe and sound." Presumably these animals dwelt or were always hunted, conveniently for them, in the vicinity of "a precipice" which they could use as an escape-device.

"Unicorns" appear in the Bible only because the first translations of the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek and Latin use this word for Hebrew re'em, an agile, powerfully strong and untameable beast which receives mention in Numbers, Deuteronomy, Job, Psalms and Isaiah. The references in Deuteronomy and Psalms, however, are ambiguous as to the number of the creature's horns, so maybe it's a misnomer to call it a unicorn ("one-horn") at all. Wikipedia.org says that the descriptions of the re'em "best fit the aurochs (Bos primigenius). This view is supported by the Assyrian rimu, which is often used as a metaphor of strength, and is depicted as a powerful, fierce, wild mountain bull with large horns. This animal was often depicted in ancient Mesopotamian art in profile, with only one horn visible." Then again there's a huge extinct creature called the Elasmotherium, believed to be a genus of rhino, which I think the re'em of the Old Testament and our legendary unicorn could well have been. Check it out>>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Elasmotherium_model.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elasmotherium