Troy

Artemis

According to mythology, "Troy was a great city, very rich and powerful, second to none." Outside of mythology, did such a city really exist? Was there any archeological or scientific discovery to attest to its existence?

fibi ducks

i spent a while in the archeology museum at Istanbul a few months ago in a gallery said to be all Trojan artifacts from dirfferent periods. There were about 7 different cabinets and each one was supposed to be a different stage in the city of Troy. Mostly I have to admit I came away none the wiser. it all looked like a lot of pots to me. But there was one video which explained quite recent excavations and that was really memorable - new technology made it possible to somehow make an image of what was underground, and a survey had been carried out of what was underground in the plane around the mound itself. The idea was that cities often started on a mound but then spread out later on. What they found was a long deep ditch cut into solid rock. Somewhere in the Iliad the Achaens dig a defensive ditch around their encampment, and the excavators identified their find and the ditch in the story.

EyeofZeus

Have you checked out the story of Heinrich Schliemann ? Its a great tale about the discovery of the Ancient Site - full of intrigue, smuggling etc. He and Sophia were quite a pair. There are famous pictures of her wearing a diadem, what Schielmann called Helen's gold. It was far older than what they now believe was the level of Homer's Troy. There is also real interesting stuff about what happens to his finds going all the way up to about 1990 or so. Happy hunting