Trip to heaven

fibi ducks

I had an idea that it would be good to climb Mount Olympus. I haven't checked how feasible this is. Does anyone know about it? Anyone fancy coming too?

Myrddin

Sounds interesting. I would guess trying something of that magnitude would be quite a task.

LegendofJoe

You may not find a heaven anymore at the top. I remember Robert Graves saying in one of his books that after the pagans
died off, Zeus hurled a thunderbolt at Olympus, thus wiping out all memory of the gods' existence.
They all became refugees, hiding here and there, trying to escape the scorn of the Christians.
It's a sad story; but maybe you might find a nymph or dryad here and there if you are lucky.:rolleyes:

fibi ducks

I'd be very happy with a nymph or dryad. Actually I'd be quite taken aback if I found Zeus and the others up there. I had a look online and its said not to be that difficult to climb. more of a walk with a scramble for the last bit.

Myrddin

I'd be very happy with a nymph or dryad. Actually I'd be quite taken aback if I found Zeus and the others up there. I had a look online and its said not to be that difficult to climb. more of a walk with a scramble for the last bit.
So, not quite a task after all then.

fibi ducks

this is the downside of sharing daydreams. actually even having a back rub from a bored dryad would be something to write home about.

charlene gawa

You may not find a heaven anymore at the top. I remember Robert Graves saying in one of his books that after the pagans
died off, Zeus hurled a thunderbolt at Olympus, thus wiping out all memory of the gods' existence.
They all became refugees, hiding here and there, trying to escape the scorn of the Christians.
It's a sad story; but maybe you might find a nymph or dryad here and there if you are lucky.:rolleyes:
That's interesting because this morning I posted a comment about the tv series "Once Upon a Time". It's almost the same myth; Fairy tale characters are cursed to live in the worst place in existence-earth. Further more they do not know who they really are and every time they get close to any recognition the wicked witch who is the Mayor foils their happiness.

LegendofJoe

Interesting!
Actually, the story of Tannhauser is one where the gods have been forgotten but can
appear in secret places. In a secret mountain Tannhauser discovers Venus.
He succumbs to temptation from her and her lovely women, but then repents to the Pope.
The Pope said he will only be forgiven if fresh leaves sprout from a dead twig.
Tannhauser feels damned forever and leaves. But then new leaves grow from the twig and
the Pope then looks for T to tell him he is forgiven.
But it is too late, he rejoined Venus in the mountain and he will be there until Judgement day.

fibi ducks

Interesting!
Actually, the story of Tannhauser is one where the gods have been forgotten but can
appear in secret places. In a secret mountain Tannhauser discovers Venus.
He succumbs to temptation from her and her lovely women, but then repents to the Pope.
The Pope said he will only be forgiven if fresh leaves sprout from a dead twig.
Tannhauser feels damned forever and leaves. But then new leaves grow from the twig and
the Pope then looks for T to tell him he is forgiven.
But it is too late, he rejoined Venus in the mountain and he will be there until Judgement day.
i wonder if he's having a good time. i mean that truly. looks aren't everything.