Translators to the gods?

fibi ducks

do the gods nead translators ? Somehow I don't believe that they can undsersatnd any language. does anyone know a story where a god neads a translator?

Myrddin

I would think, as gods, they would understand every language spoken by all humans alike.

fibi ducks

interesting. still, it would feel rude to approach a god and speak to them in your own language. Like if I went to France and just spoke to people in Engliah. They probably will understand, but they'll be very pissed off about it. I suppose this would just be a matter of manners though. I could say, @Excvuse me for speaking English but I don't know your own language. I know there was a plaque made by a Roman in Britain. He was a soldier instructed to cut down trees in the forest. the plaque was addressed to unknown local gods asking to be excused for taking the trees. But I don't know if it was written in Latin or the local language.

uhmm, i think since they are gods they have powers to understand what you're saying? sometimes they will appear in you dreams and you have a discussion, something like that :confused:

Allie-Gator

I think that thought has it's own language even if you think it in a certain language. With that thought in mind, God/s has/have the power to understand the thought or at least the intent behind it. Very interesting question though.

Isis

Gods have many powers that humans don't, so I don't see why they wouldn't understand any language we happen to invent. Actually, they'd make handy translators if they deigned to do it.

Myrddin

Gods have many powers that humans don't, so I don't see why they wouldn't understand any language we happen to invent. Actually, they'd make handy translators if they deigned to do it.
Plus, they created us. So, of course they'd know every language of ours.

fibi ducks

uhmm, i think since they are gods they have powers to understand what you're saying? sometimes they will appear in you dreams and you have a discussion, something like that :confused:
That's a good point. It would be a joke if a god appeared in a dream and then you couldn't talk to them because of the language barrier. Thanks

fibi ducks

Mind you, if I were addressing a god from somewhere else I'd check that they didn't mind speaking English. I can imagine a French god being quite unpleasant if the assumption was made...

fibi ducks

Ah. i'd like to make a plaque to honour Apollo, that was the reason for startin this thread. it seems then that i should find someone to translate it fo me. thanks for your input.

Olsen

Mind you, if I were addressing a god from somewhere else I'd check that they didn't mind speaking English. I can imagine a French god being quite unpleasant if the assumption was made...
On the contrary; I imagine the god wold be more upset if you asked him whether he speaks a certain language. He could consider that you are underestimating his powers, and would probably answer angrily, "I AM THE ALMIGHTY (... the god's name ...)! Of course I speak your language!". Wasn't omniscience one of the gods' powers...?

RLynn

Pagan gods could have enormous egos, but I don't think they were considered to be omniscient. That characteristic is reserved for the various :rolleyes: gods of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

fibi ducks

On the contrary; I imagine the god wold be more upset if you asked him whether he speaks a certain language. He could consider that you are underestimating his powers, and would probably answer angrily, "I AM THE ALMIGHTY (... the god's name ...)! Of course I speak your language!". Wasn't omniscience one of the gods' powers...?
oh dear. but i think Rlynn's right, they weren't said to be omniscient.

Enertia

I figured the gods understood every language, too. I do not recall a Greek mythology story, that told of any translator to the gods. However, there were temples for the gods. The ladies inside, Oracles, were kind of like translators to the gods, correct me if I am wrong.

Nadai

I figured the gods understood every language, too. I do not recall a Greek mythology story, that told of any translator to the gods. However, there were temples for the gods. The ladies inside, Oracles, were kind of like translators to the gods, correct me if I am wrong.
I think the Oracles were more translators for the people. They received messages from the gods and told people what they meant, I'm thinking. Like if a person had a dream or received a bad omen they could ask an Oracle what it meant and the Oracle would speak with the gods and translate. Or if someone wanted something done, like when Herakles wanted to be cleansed of his sins after he killed his family, the Oracle would ask the gods what needed to be done and then tell the person.