Third eye/sixth sense?

Katie

Do you, or do you know anybody who claims to, have the "third eye"? I lived in a province in the Philippines and I had some friends claim that they had the third eye and that they would see ghosts and other creatures on a regular basis. I think would really freak me out if I saw something that everyone else couldn't... :-|

Willowtree

Actually, I think it would be rather a challenge but one I would like to experience. I'm sure the ghosts would be a part that I wouldn't be so sure of but the precog sense would make up for it in my book.

Olsen

If I experienced something like this, I think I'd start wondering about what certainties I have that the apparitions are actually real, and not the result of a mental illness. Unless they give me some sort of proof of their existence (e.g. telling me something that I didn't know and couldn't find out otherwise), I'd be rather skeptical about the spirits. I'd be more inclined to think I had schizophrenia, like John Nash in "A Beautiful Mind".

Nadai

The women in my family have always experienced these types of things, as have I, and even visions of the future. It can be very frightening. It isn't how Hollywood portrays it; I've never seen anyone walking around with a hole in their head like Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense or J.L Hewitt in Ghost Whisperer, but it is a very similar feeling. I myself have never actually had a conversation with them. As a matter of fact a lot of times they just scream incoherently. When I was a kid it was terrifying and, until I had a talk with my family, I thought I should have been committed. But I am a scientist in heart and nature. I believe that there is a scientific explanation for everything, but I could not find one for that. I actually did have my brain scanned several times, but the results always came back normal. I have never had proof that these spirits were once people, but I have had proof when it comes to my visions. Very recently I spoke to a woman over facebook, whom I had never met and never seen, about a shop I didn't know she had. I told her I had dreamt about her and gave her business advice which she took and was greatful for. I was later invited to her opening, unfortunately I could not attend because I live in VA and she lives in Indiana.

Katie

Nadai, wow! That's... amazing? I don't know if that's the right word for it. But yes I agree about the frightening part. The most I can do is feel a presence, like I know something is there but I never see nor hear them. Which makes me glad. Many of my friends can see them though. I really don't know how I can comfort myself if ever I ever do see one. The future visions is fascinating too! I think something like that happened to me before. I had a very vivid dream about the answers to an exam I would have the next month. But wow, yours can actually help people. You're using your gift well :)

Nadai

Nadai, wow! That's... amazing? I don't know if that's the right word for it. But yes I agree about the frightening part. The most I can do is feel a presence, like I know something is there but I never see nor hear them. Which makes me glad. Many of my friends can see them though. I really don't know how I can comfort myself if ever I ever do see one. The future visions is fascinating too! I think something like that happened to me before. I had a very vivid dream about the answers to an exam I would have the next month. But wow, yours can actually help people. You're using your gift well :)
Thank you. I do want to help people, but as I'm sure you can imagine, sometimes people just think you're crazy. I remember my freshman year of high school I told my best friend that I could see spirits and afterwards she stopped talking to me. I think some people just don't know how to take that sort of information.
If you would like to hone your ability just give it time. Honestly, practice does make perfect. When I was a kid my aunts and mother taught me a great deal. If you just sit quietly and meditate, it opens your mind to anything and everything. It takes time, but I think anyone can do it. There is so much that our minds can do if we just tap in to their power. Just be careful. Some people try things that they aren't ready for and it can hurt you and even be dangerous. There are evil spirits just like there are good ones and they can both be difficult to get rid of. I remember when I was about ten I acquired a "friend" that stayed with me until I was 18! The gift isn't something you can turn off, though you can choose to ignore it.
I think the worst part is that they can't tell time. They couldn't care less when you're trying to sleep!

Katie

My friend told me she could help me open up my mind, but I really didn't want to since I heard that once it's on it's on forever and I don't think I can do that, especially since I'm the biggest scaredy cat in the world!! Amazing though you were trained! Wow!! I guess your freshman friend just couldn't handle the awesomeness. If I were her I would have had sooo many questions..

Bobby Givens

I do sometimes get the feeling that I am not alone or hear something that isn't there, but I have never actually seen a ghost. I also have very vivid dreams of true events, but they are usually within my own life, not a strangers. The intense deja vu feeling when the dream ends up happening word for word, action for action in real life is still something I have not adjusted to even after all these years.

Calliope

I believe that the third eye exists. At one point, I had been practicing meditation and astral traveling (a mixture of various things) and got to the point where I felt I was able to see with my third eye. I did see something and it scared me enough that I never did it again.

cherub

I believe whole heartedly that this does exist. I don't have that gift myself, but I do believe I have a strong intuition and when I choose to open up and listen to it, I am usually bang on. I've been working on developing it, just for my own self awareness.