Theseus

Would you read my comic about Theseus?

• I'm pretty sure I have stuff.. to do.. elsewhere.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wotan

Sup my peeps, how it hangin'?

Now that we have the formalities out of the way, I was wondering if anyone is able to suggest any documentaries, sites, books or other that mention or contain the story of Theseus. As I may have mentioned earlier on this site I am doing a major school project on Theseus and although I already have acumulated 3 or so rather dusty books on Theseus as the law of bibliography and referncing always says "the more the merrier".

Poll attatched just for fun :D

fibi ducks

Have you read the Mary Renault books? I think the ones on Theseus are 'The King Must Die" or maybe "The Bull from the Sea". They are r e a l l y good. I read them as a child and never forgot them. I guess you couldn't use them as academic sources though.

Wotan

Well single person who voted, I hope you are on the edge of your seats, after 60 or so pages and research and 34 hours straight of drawing (so far) this 7 instalment long comic is almost ready to be released. Will be out within the next week.

EyeofZeus

What are you looking at?
  • The myth and ways to think about it
  • The historic background (The Minoans on Crete and the palace of Knossos)
  • Comparing different tellings
  • The way the Ancients might have thought about it (the Greeks who fought the battle of Marathon thought that the spirit of Theseus rose up and gave them some phantom aid. In fact in the golden age there were paintings under the portico around the Agora. One of the most famous was of Theseus leading the Athenians on.

Myrddin

I realize this doesn't really have a lot to do with the topic, but if you were interested, Theseus is the reigning king in A Midsummer Night's Dream. He's only a background character, but still, it's kind of interesting.

Wotan

@Myrddin I honsetly did not know that... is a Midsummer Night's eam based in Athens? I know he becomes king of Athens eventually...

@Nadai thanks :D

Myrddin

I think it must. Like I said, he is only a background character, and not much is seen of him.