The Tooth Fairy

doodlebug

The Tooth Fairy

Ok, I know I'm a little old to be asking this, but I truely have no clue. Where does the Tooth Fairy live? I've never really heard the story. Is there a story?

FourBear

There is an excellent Wikipedia entry on the Tooth Faerie. Apparently, she had her origins in something called the "Tooth Mouse." Here is a link to the origin section:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_fairy#Origins

From there you can also read the entire entry.
There is no mention of a home for the tooth fairy, but I'm sure some of the tales listed as sources might provide more information that has been lost through time as the tale morphed.

Melos

Well, I always thought the tooth fairy lived in a giant castle made of teeth and she strung other teeth into necklaces. I have no clue why though.

palefrost

So the tooth fairy is collecting them to give to a mouse? That isnt exactly clear on what she does with them. In the states we give the kids money if they leave it under the pillow. Does anyone do anything different?

LyricB

My daughter has a book that claims the Tooth Fairy lives in a big castle made of teeth, and she seems to have accepted that explaination.

doodlebug

Very interesting, so much fuss about losing teeth! You would think that as the story evolved over the years braces would have made their way in there somehow.

vicki2

As a kid, if I put a tooth under my pillow, it had been replaced by money in the morning. I don't even remember that there were stories behind that, and I full well knew it was my parents who did it too!

LilOne1989

vicki2;178 said:
As a kid, if I put a tooth under my pillow, it had been replaced by money in the morning. I don't even remember that there were stories behind that, and I full well knew it was my parents who did it too!
I'm not sure that I ever really believed in the tooth fairy myself but my parents did the money thing too. I don't remember any stories myself. I just knew when I lost a tooth I was getting a dollar. I know my boys don't believe in the tooth fairy and I'm pretty sure that my daughter knows that the tooth fairy is really daddy, kind of hard not to know when daddy is the one with all the teeth :D .

jason

empty
We usually got a 50 cent piece or other type of coin we had to save. I cannot remember the story my parents told me about it though.

vicki2

Wow ...a dollar! I only got .25 for small teeth and maybe .50 for a bigger one ..guess that's tooth inflation lol.

palefrost

LOL as a parent i dont know what to do with the teeth! I just throw them out because its kinda creepy to me to keep them. Imagine giving them back to a 30 year old kid? "here honey, mommy kept all your old teeth!" Yikes! :p

TSA

I didn't lose too many teeth..But when I did, it was usually a quarter or a silver dollar the "Tooth Fairy" left me.

Which to a kid....Is a lot of money.

Slashmire

Quite true, the value of money back then was much different, a quarter was quite nice... Wonder if a kid would go around trying to "collect" teeth :)

duck

I knew that the Tooth fairy was not real, but it didn't matter because I also knew that my Dad put money under my pilow.:rolleyes: