The slaem witch trials

Diana

Sorry to hear that Skeptic sister. I am positive I have roots in Salem I am just not sure how deep they are. It sucks that all that hoopla and such over a bunch of people. My husband said a lot was caused from an hallucinogenic that was in the bread, some type of mold or something.

Skeptic sister

History tends to back that theory, and it makes sense, really.

John Proctor was having an affair with his maid, and ended it when his wife, Elizabeth Barrett Proctor, became pregnant again. The maid's bitterness had her accuse Elizabeth of witchcraft ... John stepped up to defend his wife. She was spared because she was expecting, John found himself accused, and he died for his defense of his wife.

There were a lot of politics involved, unfortunately, and the Proctors had made a point of NOT taking sides: that didn't do a lot for their popularity. Elizabeth was an amateur botanist, too, and her knowledge of plant lore was "witchy" to the Puritans....

I'm going to go off an a major tangent here, I'd better get off my soapbox. :D

Ronnie

Isn't that the truth! The age of the young ladies who started all of this hoo ha I think had something to do with it. Maybe they were trying to gain sympathy from some of their suitors? IDK but they started one of the saddest chapters of history in the northeast as far as I'm concerned.

Diana

I agree. It is sad looking back on it now, how many innocent people died over foolishness and complete and utter ignorance. It also happened in other places besides Salem as well.

blarneyrubble

Has anybody ever seen the film adaptation of the Arthur Miller play "The Crucible" with Daniel Day-Lewis? I thought it was one of the best dramatisations of the witch trials that I've seen and illustrated perfectly the hysteria and collective madness that can spiral out of control once these things gain momentum.

Diana

I have not watched the whole thing as of yet. I plan to because you are not the first to say it is a good adaptation.