The slaem witch trials

greekgoddess31

I have to admit this has always fascinated me. Was it simply a matter of mass hysteria where a few people deceived the masses? Is it possible that a few young girls with a family feud to settle started all this? What are your thoughts? Do you think any of the convicted were actually practicing the are of black magic?

LegendofJoe

I have to admit this has always fascinated me. Was it simply a matter of mass hysteria where a few people deceived the masses? Is it possible that a few young girls with a family feud to settle started all this? What are your thoughts? Do you think any of the convicted were actually practicing the are of black magic?
Hi greekgoddess31
I'm also fascinated by this topic and have read a couple books on it.
I think there is still some debate on this topic, but perhaps the best measured response on this would be that a few girls were fooling around with divination with the help of the slave Tituba. The fortune-telling involved seeing their future husbands in a glass of water made cloudy with egg white. The girls became quite spooked when one thought she saw a coffin in the water. Next thing you know the girls fell into a fit of convulsions periodically. This phenomenon then spread and before you know it several women in the village started complaing of fits and hysteria. Some I believe might have been sincere, even though It was just psychological. Some girls I believe took full advantage of the situation to get attention.
Add to the mix the tensions between two families: the Putnams and the Porters. There was an issue with the minister's salary and the fact that Salem village had tensions with Salem town.
The people also sincerely believed that the Devil was running about in the form of the Native Americans, who were still a very real threat at the time.
The magistrates allowed spectral evidence into the trial proceedings. This is what clinched it for the accusatory girls: all they had to do was fall on the floor in fits and claim that the defendant was tormenting them in spirit form. Unlike the witch trials in Europe which demanded a confession in order to be executed, the defendant in Salem could save herself/himself if she pleaded guilty. They would then jail you for the time being. If you pleaded innocent, then you were lying and hanged. If you did not plead at all then you were laid down and stones would be put on you until you pleaded. This happened to Giles Cory, who was crushed to death.
It was only when the accusers started claiming that higher members of society were tormenting them, that things were promptly stopped.
By this time 19 people were hanged.
Supposedly one girl admitted later that it was all for a bit of "sport." And Cotton Mather, who spurred on the witch hunt, admitted that maybe mistakes were made.
As far as magic is concerned, if anyone practised anything it was probably some folk magic that we all indulge in to this day from time to time.
There were no pacts with the devil or summoning up demons using complicated book magic alla Faust.
One writer talks of the sieve and scissors technique to help answer questions.
Hope this helped a bit. It is not much but I'm writing off the top of my head.

greekgoddess31

Rhonda, that is quite interesting. I do not think I have ever heard that particular theory presented before. That is a great link and I can't wait to delve into some of those court transcripts.

magickz

A great book I read years ago was "The Salem Witch Trials" by Earle Rice Jr. I had randomly went to the local library to find a different book at the time (one about physics) and this one almost threw itself off the shelf at me. Good read, might want to check it out.

Goddess2u

I really want to get myself a copy of "The Salem Witch Trials" and read it. I have always been intrigued with this too. I remember reading or maybe I saw the episode about the bread containing something that LSD was derived of. I believe first of all the judges and higher ups that had the power to condemned these people were nuts, actually they were so terrified by something they saw as evil even when someone claimed innocence the test they used to determine if they were witches or not were just crazy. On one hand I do not doubt that there were people practicing magick but anyone who does practice magick knows that the devil has no place in it.

greekgoddess31

I will have to check my local library and see if they have that book. It sounds really interesting. Goddess2u, I agree they were scared of the unknown and convicted people based on that.

Willowtree

I've heard the story of the tainted grain the bread was made of too. The fungus produced ergot which can be derived into ergotamine which is a hallucinogenic compound. The theory honestly sounds plausible. Add to it supersitition, ancient fears, tension between families and the fact that it was young, uneducated ladies who started all of this nonsense and there you have a volatile mix. I'm surprised they didn't wipe out the whole population of the young colonies.

Calliope

This has always been one of my favorite topics to read about. One of the books I liked is called, "The Devil in Massachusetts," by Marion Lena Starkey. There was another book that I read, but I can't remember the name. In my high school class, we were allowed to write a topic about anything that interested us. The Salem Witch Trials is the topic that I chose.

Pegasus

Thanks for all the information. Learned something today - had not heard about the fungus in the bread supply. Mass hysteria, fueled by fear, and extremely superstitious people certainly prevailed at that time. Part of the fear was even being accused of being a witch. Many years ago, I spoke to someone who shared that part of their family history was that they moved west to avoid persecution. They feared being accused of being a witch. Their family folklore of this story carried on for generations. It is really amazing when you stop and think about it.

Diana

I have always been interested in the Salem Witch Trials, I am a practicing Pagan and I agree that in Witchcraft, the devil does not exist. I have roots that go back to Massachusetts, I find it very intriguing, I also want to visit there someday.

LegendofJoe

I have always been interested in the Salem Witch Trials, I am a practicing Pagan and I agree that in Witchcraft, the devil does not exist. I have roots that go back to Massachusetts, I find it very intriguing, I also want to visit there someday.
Hi Diana
I used to be friends with a High Priestess of Wicca here in New York. She owned a bookstore right here in the Bronx. She still might have a store, but it is no longer near where I live.
She wanted me to join her coven since they were all women and they needed a "rooster." I graciously declined.
Are you Alexandrian, Gardnerian, Dianic or something else?

Diana

I am an Eclectic Dirt Root Pagan, I tend to follow my own path instead of those of others. Are you Pagan/Wiccan at all? I would have declines that invite as well.

Calliope

I've been wanting to go to Salem and check it out. I wonder how the locals feel about their town--I mean, I wonder if they get annoyed with all of the tourists coming in and asking questions.

LegendofJoe

I am an Eclectic Dirt Root Pagan, I tend to follow my own path instead of those of others. Are you Pagan/Wiccan at all? I would have declines that invite as well.
Although I'm fascinated with the modern Neo-Pagan movement, I don't follow any religion.
I read Margot Adler's Drawing Down the Moon. I also enjoyed Ronald Hutton's Triumph of the Moon. A painstakingly detailed history
of the modern witchcraft movement.

Diana

It took me over 15 years to actually wear a "label". I find that this one suits me best. I have a pal who loves in Salem so I really want to go visit her. It is on my Bucket List.

LegendofJoe

It is interesting to note that the witchcraft hysteria occurred in Salem village, not Salem town which is close by.
It is no longer Salem village, but Danvers.
As a matter of fact, one of the events that ignited the persecutions was antagonism between
the village and town.
A book by Boyers and Nisselbaum called Salem Possessed goes into this in detail.
A great read, but can be a tad dry.

Diana

I read one once, but it is very dry reading. I am not a big fan of dry history, I would rather experience it first hand.

Skeptic sister

I'm related to one of the families that figured in Salem.

Ergotism from the bread given out during the church services, in combination with the very strict and boring lifestyle the Puritans lead, combined to create one of the biggest legal embarrassments in US history.

My family was ruined... over the accusation of a maid, no less.

LegendofJoe

I might be wrong but I believe the jury is still out on whether ergotism played any role in the Salem event.
I know it has its critics.
Besides, you don't have to be on a mind altering substance to become hysterical and start accusing people of bewitching.