The real city of troy

blarneyrubble

Apparently its located in Turkey at a place called Truva. Has anybody been and if so, what makes this place the most likely to be the definitive place?

LegendofJoe

I believe this is the place closest to where the ancient sources say Troy existed.
Schlieman first dug here and found an ancient buried city.

Pegasus

Can you please help me on this one? I have read topics that put Troy in Turkey, along with their excavation findings. But here is a shocker. Has anyone ever heard of the theory Troy has Celtic origins and it is centered in Britain? I have not read the book yet, but there is a book on the subject that supports this data. The name of the book is "Where Troy Once Stood". What are your thoughts?

LegendofJoe

Sounds really interesting.
There were Celts in Asia Minor in ancient times. They are usually called Galatians.
That's about all I know.

fibi ducks

I read a bit of a book called 'the kings of england' writen by someone (!) about the 12th century i think. In it the author says that the first non-giant inhabitants of england were refugee trojans. as well as founding rome, they also founded london - so he says. (i saw two wonderful wooden statues of gog and magog, two of teh giants that lived here before the trojans, and the guildhall in the city, they're quite new, but very big and characterful). Anyway - this is still the other way round to what you're presenting. Please tell us more if you find out.

LegendofJoe

It seems that several civilizations liked to say they were founded by the Trojans, like it was some badge of honor.
This idea, as well as the idea of giants living in Britain goes at least as far back as Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain in the 12th Century.

LegendofJoe

Glad I could be of service fibi.
I actually really enjoyed that book. It is pivitol in the genesis of Arthurian myth.