The prologue?

I recently purchased a copy a translated copy of the Prose Edda, and i dont really understand the prologue, and what its refering to, so i was wondering if any of you guys knew and underestood it a bit better. Maybe i need to read the rest of the book to understand it, im not sure.

Thanks,
Amy

LegendofJoe

I recently purchased a copy a translated copy of the Prose Edda, and i dont really understand the prologue, and what its refering to, so i was wondering if any of you guys knew and underestood it a bit better. Maybe i need to read the rest of the book to understand it, im not sure.

Thanks,
Amy
Hey there Amy
I'm glad you got yourself a copy of the Prose Edda.
I'm sorry you are having some difficulty getting through the prologue.
If memory serves Snorri wrote the Prologue because he had to make his readers know that he was a good Christian even though he was writing about gods.
Therefore, he tried to show that the gods were never really gods all along.
They were really only great kings and warriors and that, with the passage of time, they became imagined as gods.
People mistakenly worshipped them until the true faith came to Iceland.
That is all I remember from the top of my head.
Try rereading it again with the above in mind.
The translator should also have an explanation of it in his intro.
Hope this helps.

Alexia

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film

Hey there Amy
I'm glad you got yourself a copy of the Prose Edda.
I'm sorry you are having some difficulty getting through the prologue.
If memory serves Snorri wrote the Prologue because he had to make his readers know that he was a good Christian even though he was writing about gods.
Therefore, he tried to show that the gods were never really gods all along.
They were really only great kings and warriors and that, with the passage of time, they became imagined as gods.
People mistakenly worshipped them until the true faith came to Iceland.
That is all I remember from the top of my head.
Try rereading it again with the above in mind.
The translator should also have an explanation of it in his intro.
Hope this helps.
Joe! =)
Thanks for your input, it did really help...im still having a little difficulty with parts of it still but hopefully it'll all come clear once ive read more information on it.
I'm sure the translation did have notes on it in the beginning, but i cant remember anything on what you've told me.
Thank you though ^_^

If you are interested in Norse mythology, then help VuduPins Productions make a film based off of the Norse myths of Baldur's death. The film is called "Baldur's Dreams" and is centered around Odin, Frigg, Baldur, and Loki. Before we can begin filming, we need to raise funds. Please help us and go to this site and donate money. Spread the word and help this film get made. Every penny counts. Thanks!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudupins/baldurs-dreams-a-norse-myth-short-film
Alexia, thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately, i dont have too much money at the moment as i need to save for future plans etc. But I hope it does get made, it'd certainly get more people interested in Norse Mythology and things! Best of luck with it! If there's anything I can do to help with it, let me know ^_^

LegendofJoe

Joe! =)
Thanks for your input, it did really help...im still having a little difficulty with parts of it still but hopefully it'll all come clear once ive read more information on it.
I'm sure the translation did have notes on it in the beginning, but i cant remember anything on what you've told me.
Thank you though ^_^

Hi Amy
Hopefully things will get clearer once you get to the first section: The Deluding of Gilfi.
Here king Gilfi asks his questions regarding the gods, the world, the beginning and end of all things.

I'm reading this part of it at the moment, its really quite well done. I was just wondering Joe, i remember a while ago i think you said that Snorri didn't actually write the Prose Edda? I havent read enough of the history of the myths, though i have seen this really cool book which should explain a bit about Viking religion and their beliefs etc so that may help, so could you explain a little bit about it please?

LegendofJoe

I'm reading this part of it at the moment, its really quite well done. I was just wondering Joe, i remember a while ago i think you said that Snorri didn't actually write the Prose Edda? I havent read enough of the history of the myths, though i have seen this really cool book which should explain a bit about Viking religion and their beliefs etc so that may help, so could you explain a little bit about it please?
Snorri wrote the Prose Edda in the 12oo's.
It was the Poetic Edda that he did not write, although he may have contributed to its poetry.
His book is actually simply called Edda, but we call it Prose Edda to distinguish it from the Poetic Edda.
If you are interested in the pagan religions of the Vikings, then books by Hilda Ellis Davidson is what you want.
I also read this incredible book by Stephen A. Mitchell called Withcraft and Magic in the Nordic Middle Ages.
Magic always seems to tie in closely to religion, no matter what anyone says.
So the Deluding of Gilfi is pretty amazing huh? :)

Olsen

I read something about the Prose Edda in an encyclopedia a few months ago, but I didn't have time to read the actual work. I remember historians mentioning that Snorri Sturluson didn't write the Edda, but merely compiled in the way in which it is arranged. Some say he wrote the Háttatal, while others attribute the whole work to him.

I wish they would translate it into more languages, not just in English...

Snorri wrote the Prose Edda in the 12oo's.
It was the Poetic Edda that he did not write, although he may have contributed to its poetry.
His book is actually simply called Edda, but we call it Prose Edda to distinguish it from the Poetic Edda.
If you are interested in the pagan religions of the Vikings, then books by Hilda Ellis Davidson is what you want.
I also read this incredible book by Stephen A. Mitchell called Withcraft and Magic in the Nordic Middle Ages.
Magic always seems to tie in closely to religion, no matter what anyone says.
So the Deluding of Gilfi is pretty amazing huh? :)
Ah i understand now kind of, did he compile information in the Poetic Edda, i think i remember reading this in the introduction of the Prose Edda but i might be wrong.
And thank you for the book recommendations, i shall have to see if there are any in my book store, if not ill order them in.
he Deluding of Gilfi is very cleverly written, i like how it gives the details of the worlds creations like it does, and how its been organised. I havent been able to out it down when ive been reading it to be honest, im almost at the end of this part of the Edda. =)

LegendofJoe

Hey there
I'm glad you are enjoying the Edda. You will also like the second portion: Poetic Diction.
I don't know if your translation has the final section: it is a poem. The Young translation states that it is untranslatable.
My other version has it translated, but it is almost impossible to read!
Snorri was acting as an antiquarian when he wrote the Edda: he did not create the stories, but preserved for us the stories that were still around in his day, even though Christianity was made the official religion in Iceland in 1000CE.
I don't know much about his contribution to the other (Poetic), Edda, although I believe at least one poem was his ( The Lay of Thrym).
The Prose Edda is compared to Aristotle's Poetics, since it is seen as a handbook for poets.
Snorri lived a colorful life, but he was unfortunately murdered.

Yes, i have the poetic diction section in my book i believe. Is it called Skaldskaparmal? I haven't started reading it yet though, im at the part where Thor goes fishing with the Giant Hymir in the Gylfaginnig section. I havent realy looked at the Poetic Diction, but its not so much layed out as a poem, just texts? Its split into two sections: mythical and legendary tales and poetic reference.
Also, how is it impossible to read? Like is the translation not as we would speak today or what? Its got me curious.
Did Snorri collect the stories from his travels? I think i read that he went to Norway a few times, and he was very passionate about viking history, myths and legends and such. The Icelanders did like to preserve manuscripts as a pass-time, until the 20th centuary.
Indeed, Snorri did have a good life, since he was born to an Icelandic cheiftain and he did become a rich leader for some time, and it sad that he got murdered eventually in a basement.
Sorry for all the questions too! =)

I read something about the Prose Edda in an encyclopedia a few months ago, but I didn't have time to read the actual work. I remember historians mentioning that Snorri Sturluson didn't write the Edda, but merely compiled in the way in which it is arranged. Some say he wrote the Háttatal, while others attribute the whole work to him.

I wish they would translate it into more languages, not just in English...
Thanks for the information, ill defiantely have to look into the history of all of it a bit more, i just need to get more books =D

They should definately translate it in more languages other than English. There may be some on the internet if you search hard for them, but then im not sure how accurate they would be =/ I hope one day that it'll be translated into more languages, i did have a little look for actual books but i couldnt find any =(

LegendofJoe

Yes, i have the poetic diction section in my book i believe. Is it called Skaldskaparmal? I haven't started reading it yet though, im at the part where Thor goes fishing with the Giant Hymir in the Gylfaginnig section. I havent realy looked at the Poetic Diction, but its not so much layed out as a poem, just texts? Its split into two sections: mythical and legendary tales and poetic reference.
Also, how is it impossible to read? Like is the translation not as we would speak today or what? Its got me curious.
Did Snorri collect the stories from his travels? I think i read that he went to Norway a few times, and he was very passionate about viking history, myths and legends and such. The Icelanders did like to preserve manuscripts as a pass-time, until the 20th centuary.
Indeed, Snorri did have a good life, since he was born to an Icelandic cheiftain and he did become a rich leader for some time, and it sad that he got murdered eventually in a basement.
Sorry for all the questions too! =)
Hi Amy
Yes Scaldskaparmal is the Poetic Diction.
It is the last part, the Hattatal that is sometimes not translated. I'm not sure why but it might have something to do with the tremendous amount
of kennings that it has.
A kenning is a poetic device, something like a simile.
When I tried reading it I had to constantly refer to the bottom of the page that would explain what many sentences meant.
I gave up after a few pages.
I believe that the Poetic Diction does have alot more prose than verse. After all, it is called the Prose Edda.
Snorri did travel, but I am not sure if he collected the stories like a modern folklorist does: asking all types of peoples to reveal their stories.
He was very interested in Norwegian history. He wrote the Heimskringla (History of the Kings of Norway).
This large book is broken into many sections called sagas. It is not all history though. It consists of mainly tradition rather than hard history.
Some writers have likened them, as well as other sagas outside his book, as a type of historical fiction.
I'm sure scholars are kept very busy trying to disintangle history from myth.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I will try and help even though I am no expert.:oops:

Myrddin

Wow, there's a lot of interesting talk here. Really makes me want to get into the Norse mythologies more, and actually check out the Prose Edda. I'll have to find a copy first, of course...

Hi Amy
Yes Scaldskaparmal is the Poetic Diction.
It is the last part, the Hattatal that is sometimes not translated. I'm not sure why but it might have something to do with the tremendous amount
of kennings that it has.
A kenning is a poetic device, something like a simile.
When I tried reading it I had to constantly refer to the bottom of the page that would explain what many sentences meant.
I gave up after a few pages.
I believe that the Poetic Diction does have alot more prose than verse. After all, it is called the Prose Edda.
Snorri did travel, but I am not sure if he collected the stories like a modern folklorist does: asking all types of peoples to reveal their stories.
He was very interested in Norwegian history. He wrote the Heimskringla (History of the Kings of Norway).
This large book is broken into many sections called sagas. It is not all history though. It consists of mainly tradition rather than hard history.
Some writers have likened them, as well as other sagas outside his book, as a type of historical fiction.
I'm sure scholars are kept very busy trying to disintangle history from myth.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I will try and help even though I am no expert.:oops:
Wow, just read about Snorri's use of kennings, i can see why you would have to refer to the bottom of the page, Snorri seemed to like to play with words and confuse us all by the looks of things. Some of the examples are very, very difficult to interpret, although it is kinda poetic. Although, it does make me wonder, how accurate are the interpretations that are listed, you know?
Yes, i imagine that scholars are kept incredibly busy trying to decipher all that's left behind, its quite interesting how they know how much that they know really, it must be a fascinating job. I'll have to read more of Snorri's writings eventually ^_^
And you know alot more that me and i finding this very confusing to begin with, unfortunately. >_<

Wow, there's a lot of interesting talk here. Really makes me want to get into the Norse mythologies more, and actually check out the Prose Edda. I'll have to find a copy first, of course...
There are various ones, i got one from Waterstones (a big chain book store over in England.) Its actually pretty weird, one came in stock the day i went to order one. The one i have is a Penguins Classics book, translated by Jesse Byock. It has some pretty cool notes in, i just haven't got round to finishing it yet. There are loads of different additions published. It just made sense for me to read the Prose Edda to get a better look on Norse Mythology. But id recommend giving it a read when you get the chance ^__^

Myrddin

There are various ones, i got one from Waterstones (a big chain book store over in England.) Its actually pretty weird, one came in stock the day i went to order one. The one i have is a Penguins Classics book, translated by Jesse Byock. It has some pretty cool notes in, i just haven't got round to finishing it yet. There are loads of different additions published. It just made sense for me to read the Prose Edda to get a better look on Norse Mythology. But id recommend giving it a read when you get the chance ^__^
Excellent! Thank you.