The Mythical Dragon

jason

empty
The Mythical Dragon

Throughout history remnants of folk tales and legends about a mysterious fire-breathing creature have intrigued and mystified the populace. In most mythology we see the dragon portrayed as an enormous serpentine flying creature that could decimate everything in its path with its volatile breath.

In Christianity the dragon has been associated with Satan but in other traditions the dragon was viewed as a symbol of regeneration. Not only was this creature associated with fire but with water as well and was also thought to be the giver of rain.

Many myths revolve around the slaying of the dragon though this may have been a symbolic representation of regenerating and fertilizing the earth. Dragons were said to guard treasure and were often depicted with three to seven heads that would grow back if cut off. The blood of these beasts was considered highly poisonous. The great dragon was also used in the Babylonian Creation myth as a reference to the slaying of Tiamat, the watery monster, from which heaven and earth were created. The dragon has also been associated with the serpent in the Garden of Eden.

It is believed the dragon may be a symbolic representation of kundalini, the vital force also known as chi or prana that lies coiled up at the base of the spine. The dragon became a symbol of power in Chinese folklore and its presence became well known as a representation of it was paraded through the streets on the Chinese New Year.

But is there any basis for the actual existence of dragons? There doesn’t appear to be any tangible evidence nor historical fact to corroborate such a theory although many people believe that in each legend is contained a grain of fact. We have to wonder if the tales of these large fire-breathing creatures could indeed be rooted in fact. Could they have existed in the era of prehistoric dinosaurs? If so, why have no remains been found? These are questions we continue to ponder.

It has been speculated that the dragon myth may be related to the prehistoric pterodactyl or the plesiosaur. The latter creature has also been considered a likely candidate for the sea creature myths such as the Loch Ness monster. There are legends of dragons living under water and what was the biblical creature referred to as leviathan? Were dragons actual prehistoric creatures of a forgotten time? Perhaps we will never know but forgotten they will never be as long as myth and legend continue to survive.

[FONT=&quot]Written by Darlene Zagata[/FONT]

Durzan

Mythology has always had too many dragon's to be seriously doubted. I have always been facinated by these creatures. I mean why do they exist throughout the globe? What key to their existance may exist. It is all so much fun.

HermesRulz101

Dragon's in my opinion are VERY real i believe they live in the undiscovered areas of Himalayas...My favorite dragon in greek mythology is Landon who guards the golden apples for the Hesperides he has not been bested in years.

Rhonda Tharp

In the story of Beowulf the dragon guards treasure, but the dragon has no need of it. In fairy tales (and movies, like Shrek), the dragon guards a virgin princess, again the dragon has no need of her. By keeping the maiden, the dragon has halted the kingdom's lineage from being passed down. The dragons seem to represent greed in that they are keeping things that they don't actually need.

Bona Dea

The story of St George and the Dragon had the dragon being controlled by Satan.

I've visited Wormingford, Essex, UK which is where George killed the Dragon - there is a mound in the village that supposedly covers the body

DLegend

Could they have existed in the era of prehistoric dinosaurs? If so, why have no remains been found?
I am asking this question to myself too. There might be some prehistoric dinosaurs that supposed to breathe fire because of what the people see. The pterodactyl is a likely candidate. I think at that time volcanoes are very active so the people back then might have seen pterodactyls flying over volcanoes and they might have thought that those creatures are breathing fire.

Goddess2u

Jason you have such a gift with your writing. I loved how you described everything and have always been enamoured with dragons. Thanks for such a beautiful description of Dragons.

Travis

That's interesting and maybe true DLegend. As for the dragon representing kundalini, I think the most used symbol for the spiritual power is a serpent and not the dragon.

Goldie

They made a movie out that -- George and the Dragon -- that was filmed on location. Michael Duncan Clarke and Patrick Swayze were in it. Patrick was the villain of the piece.

LegendofJoe

I have to admit, I really enjoyed the new Beowulf movie that was all CGI. I know it is not a faithful rendition of the story, but the dragon scene at the end was so totally awesome, I did not want to even blink!!!
If you want to just have a fun time, and you love mythology and dragons, I really recommend this movie. Unfortunately, I have not seen a 3D version of it on DVD or Blue-Ray.

DLegend

I've watched that movie and it was really amazing. I think that movie is the boundary between animated and real-life movies. I thought the movie was done with real actors when I watched the trailer.

LegendofJoe

Glad you liked it.
On another note, I saw recently a show called Star Wars The Legacy Revealed. It was a documentary that analyzed the films from a mythological perspective.
I was hooked for two hours. I really liked the comparison of Jabba the Hut as a type of dragon. His dwelling place was this dark lair, and he surrounded himself with all forms of riches and pleasure; just like a dragon hordes treasure. Sometimes women are seen as part of the dragon's possessions; a type of sacrifice like in the story of St. George. Jabba had Princess Laia as a slave for awhile in a sexy scanty suit.
Ah yes, my boyhood dreams are coming back to me now.
Any thoughts???

CancerLeo

I think it's very possible dragons were conceived because of dragons. I'm sure that dinosaur bones have been discovered before modern times, and people would have recognized them as bones. Such large creatures would naturally be viewed as monsters.

Rhonda Tharp

Archaeologists and anthrapologists claim that's where the Chinese got their dragon - from weathered and exposed dinosaur bones on the sides of mountains and hills.