The manatee theory

Arachne

I've heard this given as the traditional explanation for the mermaid myth - manatees, first discovered by Spanish explorers in the New World. Manatees have front flippers that can vaguely resemble arms, and apparently nurse their young from their chest like a human, so they are equated with mermaids (whose large, bare breasts are usually emphasised in descriptions).

Do you believe in this theory at all? Let's face it - manatees aren't very attractive animals, and the whole point of a mermaid is that she is so sensually beautiful that she can lure sailors to their deaths. Also, aren't there Greek or Roman myths about mermaids? There are no species of manatee or dugong in any part of the world they would've been acquainted with. Whatever inspired the mermaid myth, I don't think it was manatees!

LegendofJoe

I have heard this theory years ago. Yes I also feel that they are too ugly to be thought of as mermaids.
But then again I recently saw something interesting on the show Manswers. (I'm sorry, I do watch Spike sometimes)
Apparently, the genitalia of a female dugong(a type of manatee), is very much like a human vagina.
So who knows what lonely men at sea did. Maybe they made up the beauty of the mermaid in order to
cover up the shame from "doing the dugong!"
Recently this theory was made fun of on an episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Myrddin

I've heard this given as the traditional explanation for the mermaid myth - manatees, first discovered by Spanish explorers in the New World. Manatees have front flippers that can vaguely resemble arms, and apparently nurse their young from their chest like a human, so they are equated with mermaids (whose large, bare breasts are usually emphasised in descriptions).

Do you believe in this theory at all? Let's face it - manatees aren't very attractive animals, and the whole point of a mermaid is that she is so sensually beautiful that she can lure sailors to their deaths. Also, aren't there Greek or Roman myths about mermaids? There are no species of manatee or dugong in any part of the world they would've been acquainted with. Whatever inspired the mermaid myth, I don't think it was manatees!
Certainly doesn't sound like it.

I found on youtube that portion of the mermaid theory that was featured on How I Met Your Mother.
Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n6o7ovXp1A
It is definitely worth watching!
That was hilarious. Thank you for sharing.

Enertia

LegendofJoe, that was a good one! I laughed so hard, now my ribs hurt. I always thought mermaids were suppose to be beautiful, but I thought it was their songs that lured sailors to get drowned. Wait, maybe I am thinking about sirens. Anyway, maybe sailors had been out at sea so long they were hallucinating. I am sure dehydration and various ailments could make sailors think a manatee was a mermaid. Sailors are suppose to be notorious drinkers too, that probably did not help their judgement.

LegendofJoe

LegendofJoe, that was a good one! I laughed so hard, now my ribs hurt. I always thought mermaids were suppose to be beautiful, but I thought it was their songs that lured sailors to get drowned. Wait, maybe I am thinking about sirens. Anyway, maybe sailors had been out at sea so long they were hallucinating. I am sure dehydration and various ailments could make sailors think a manatee was a mermaid. Sailors are suppose to be notorious drinkers too, that probably did not help their judgement.
I'm happy you liked it; I laughed hard also.
Sirens were originally depicted as bird and human hybrids that sang. And yes, the songs lured sailors to the rocky shore where they crashed.
In the course of time, they became confused with mermaids, until they became one and the same. So the sirens kept their alluring songs, and
acquired seductive beauty as well.

Allie-Gator

Interesting discussion. I've never heard of manatees being described as mermaids before. I have heard of Sirens but I honestly thought they and mermaids were the same. Goes to show what I know.