The Great Pumpkin

jason

empty
The Great Pumpkin

- Pumpkins are fruits. A pumpkin is a type of squash and is a member of the gourd family (Cucurbitacae), which also includes squash, cucumbers, gherkins, and melons.

- The largest pumpkin pie ever baked was in 2003 and weighed 418 pounds.

- Pumpkins have been grown in North America for five thousand years. They are indigenous to the western hemisphere.

- In 1584, after French explorer Jacques Cartier explored the St. Lawrence region of North America, he reported finding "gros melons." The name was translated into English as "pompions," which has since evolved into the modern "pumpkin."

- Pumpkins are low in calories, fat, and sodium and high in fiber. They are good sources of Vitamin A, Vitamin B, potassium, protein, and iron.

- The largest pumpkin ever grown was 1,337 pounds. It was grown by Charles Houghton of New Boston, New Hampshire.

- Pumpkin seeds should be planted between the last week of May and the middle of June. They take between 90 and 120 days to grow and are picked in October when they are bright orange in color. Their seeds can be saved to grow new pumpkins the next year.

Melos

Interesting facts! I ran across a woman the other day who did not know that pumpkins were edible. I asked, as nicely as I could, where she thought pumpkin pie came from (she had a premade one in her grocery cart). She told me "cans."

palefrost

LOL yikes. When i worked on this farm we would have city kids come in and make butter. It was really sad to hear how surprised they were when they learned milk came from cows. One even thought chocolate milk came from chocolate cows.