The encantado

Olsen

The Encantado is my favorite South-American mythical creature. The Encantado are a species of underwater mischievous elf-like creatures that are said to live in the depths of the Amazon river, in a deep underwater realm named the Encante. They can shape-shift into humans, but their foreheads remain protruding even in human form. They are very good at charming people, and with their musical ability they can make anyone fall in love with them, after which they carry said person to the river and let it drown. They sometimes chase boats and use various mind control techniques to inflict illness, insanity and even death upon the fishermen.

http://listverse.com/2009/10/26/10-mythological-creatures-and-shapeshifters/

Isis

That is very interesting! I don't know much about South American myths, so I haven't heard of the Encantado before. They don't sound very friendly. :D

Nora_Rose

I have never heard of any South American myths. This one sounds really cool. Sounds kind of like our mermaid with the musical ability and the drowning people. If I am ever down that way, I will beware of people with large foreheads! Lol

Allie-Gator

Wow! Very interesting! I've never heard of those before. I find it interesting that some of the same types or forms of mythological creatures are in most cultures even though they are wide spread.

Olsen

This one sounds really cool. Sounds kind of like our mermaid with the musical ability and the drowning people.
Yes, the similarity between the Encantado and the mermaids is too great to be a simple coincidence. I think they must be based on some sort of common legend of aquatic creatures. I wonder if this may be related to the way in which tribes living on islands were said to lure ships by singing and making noise.

If I am ever down that way, I will beware of people with large foreheads! Lol
Lol! Make sure you don't hurt someone's feelings, though. I know some people with large foreheads that are quite sensible when it comes to comments regarding their looks...

greekgoddess31

Wow, that is pretty interesting. I have never heard anything about these but I will definitely have to dig deeper after reading your description. Are there any good books about them?

Arachne

There is a very similar creature in Japanese mythology called a kappa, except that it is not an attractive creature. It uses magic to lure its victims, preferably maidens, who are taken into the water where it drowns and/or devours them. It is also a sub-human, elf-like being.

Myrddin

Kappas are mentioned in the Harry Potter books, (more specifically The Prisoner of Azkaban and I believe The Goblet of Fire). I believe they live in the Hogwarts lake.