The early origins of religion...mythology?

nmadore

Hello there. I'm fairly new to the site and so I went to cast my vote for my favorite type of mythology (the myths that came out of ancient Mesopotamia)...but it wasn't there!

Mesotamia is considered by some (namely me) the birthplace of myth. This shouldn't offend people who are religious. A myth is simply a belief that can't be proven (or disproven, as the case may be). Religious people have already taken this into consideration with their clause about 'faith.' Therefore, I think it is remiss of you not to include it.

Think of all the myths that came out of ancient Mesopotamia: the creation myth, the angel myth, the devil myth, the Nephilim myth, the flood myth, the djinn myth, the heaven and hell myth...need I go on?

Who else on this site agrees with me?

Myrddin

Hello there. I'm fairly new to the site and so I went to cast my vote for my favorite type of mythology (the myths that came out of ancient Mesopotamia)...but it wasn't there!

Mesotamia is considered by some (namely me) the birthplace of myth. This shouldn't offend people who are religious. A myth is simply a belief that can't be proven (or disproven, as the case may be). Religious people have already taken this into consideration with their clause about 'faith.' Therefore, I think it is remiss of you not to include it.

Think of all the myths that came out of ancient Mesopotamia: the creation myth, the angel myth, the devil myth, the Nephilim myth, the flood myth, the djinn myth, the heaven and hell myth...need I go on?

Who else on this site agrees with me?
Valid points. I can't not agree with you. :)

fibi ducks

I think some people were commenting a while ago that there should be an Egyptian section too. Would be good to have both I guess.

Myrddin

Yes, definitely. There should be one for Folk and Fairy Tales as well. I mean, they aren't exactly mythological stories, but neither are they exactly off topic. They fall in the same realm of interest. Just my thoughts, of course.

E. M.