The birth of fijian cannibalism?

Arachne

Cannibalism is one of many "darker" topics in history I'm really interested in. Hopefully it will be ok if I start threads about it sometimes since it is often entwined with mythology:cool:

I remember reading this story when I was a child, but I haven't been able to find it since. I'd like to see if anyone else has heard it before, or if they could give me a source to research it. The story went like this:

The first chief in Fiji was married to a beautiful princess, but she died while giving birth to twin girls. The father saw the girls as the reason his darling wife was dead, so as they grew up he abused them and made them into his slaves. When they came of age, however, a handsome young fisherman washed up on the shores of their island and began courting them.

The Fijian chief told the young man that he could have the girls if he killed an enormous shark, and he did this. He took the girls away from the island in his canoe, never to return. Furious, the chief swore a tabu saying that from now on, whenever a foreigner washes up on a Fijian shore he/she is to be eaten.

Myrddin

Have you seen the Pirates of the Caribbean movies? In the second one, Dead Man's Chest, Jack and his crew end up on an island inhabited by cannibals who believe Jack is a god -- and intend to "do him the honour of releasing him from his fleshy prison".

LegendofJoe

Hi
Sorry, I have not come across this.
But it did remind me of something else.
In a book on Maori myths, they author stated that the worse thing you can call someone is a bowl of food.
This makes sense since after a battle, the losers could wind up eaten.
Maori warriors would even show their tongue to taunt enemies.