The ages

Nadai

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Ages...
The Golden Age when Jupiter ruled: There was peace and plenty. The rivers flowed with milk and honey. People didn't hunt or work. They didn't live in houses because the season was always Spring. Food came straight from the ground. People didn't die, they just fell asleep.
The Silver Age: Zeus creates new humans. The seasons change. People live in caves. They begin to make weapons for hunting. There is cold and illness. People divide themselves.
The Age of Heroes: Gods decide to rape humans and make demi-gods that go adventuring.
The Bronze Age: Humans are hard and violent. They mine the Earth and make boats to sail the seas. The fight amongst themselves. Mothers live longer than their sons. Brothers are made enemies. The land is divided and wars rage.
The Iron Age: Our age. Total chaos. Wars. Famine. Destruction. Short-lived.
It was supposed to be that, when Pandora opened the box, she released evil and sin into the world, but according to the ages, people became rotten during the Bronze Age. Death was inside of the box, but people were dying in the Silver Age. I wonder how it is that those stories could have gotten mixed up with one another. When she opened the box everything escaped so when death and illness came into the world so would all of the others.
...It's a head-scratcher.

EyeofZeus

Pandora and the story of the Ages are different. The Greeks even had other ones. They were either told in different locations or taken from other people and adapted.

Nadai

Pandora and the story of the Ages are different. The Greeks even had other ones. They were either told in different locations or taken from other people and adapted.
There are "Ages" stories for several different cultures. There are Native American cultures who believed that the world had been destroyed and recreated several times over, one world on top of another, and that the center of the Earth contained the origanal or first age. Ovid's Metamorphosis begins with the story of the ages. Powell, I believe, also has an ages story.

Myrddin

There are "Ages" stories for several different cultures. There are Native American cultures who believed that the world had been destroyed and recreated several times over, one world on top of another, and that the center of the Earth contained the origanal or first age. Ovid's Metamorphosis begins with the story of the ages. Powell, I believe, also has an ages story.
Is that what Jules Verne was basing Journey to the Center of the Earth on? Sounds like it might.

Myrddin

Never heard of it:confused:
A Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne? Well I've never actually read the book, I do kind of know what it's about. Basically it's about a group of people lead by an ecstatic professor who journey towards the center of the earth, and encounter old and prehistoric people and creatures along the way, and as they get closer to the earth's center, the older and more prehistoric the people and wildlife around them become. There have been several movies based on his novel, the most recent adaptation starring Brendan Fraser (from one or two years ago, I think). His other more popular novels are 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

Nadai

A Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne? Well I've never actually read the book, I do kind of know what it's about. Basically it's about a group of people lead by an ecstatic professor who journey towards the center of the earth, and encounter old and prehistoric people and creatures along the way, and as they get closer to the earth's center, the older and more prehistoric the people and wildlife around them become. There have been several movies based on his novel, the most recent adaptation starring Brendan Fraser (from one or two years ago, I think). His other more popular novels are 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea and Around the World in Eighty Days.

Yes, now that you mention Brendan Fraser I remembet;) I've heard of them, but never read or watched them. The story sounds about right though, that's certainly how it would have worked. They sound interesting-maybe when I get spare time I'll look into those books.

LegendofJoe

The Native Americans called these Emergence myths.
The worlds are built on top of each other.
Usually after a disaster, the people move to the next world above the one they live in.
The Navajo has an extensive mythology of this mythical history.
It does sound like a hollow earth idea.
Some people all the way up until the beginning of the 20th century still believed in a hollow earth.
Access to the inside were found in holes that were placed at the poles.
The Aurora Borealis was believed to be a reflection in the sky of internal earthly flames.
The mammoth that was discovered very well preserved in ice some years ago was explained as one that wandered out of the earth,
and that prehistoric species of animals still live in the earth.
A really cool idea, but unfortunately not true.