Swords

Helga

In reading about Celtic Mythology I find it amazing how many stories there are with magic swords. Which sword/story is your favorite? I am personally leaning towards Excalibur.

Myrddin

The one I like is more Arthurian legend then Celtic myth, and it is when the young King Arthur breaks his first sword in battle, the one he pulled out of the stone, and Merlin promptly leads him to the lake of Avalon where a lady of the lake presents the new king with an even better sword than his first -- that of Excalibur. As Arthur gazes upon the sword with wonder, Merlin warns him that the scabbard is worth more than the sword. When sheathed, the scabbard keeps the sword clean.

The only other sword I know of in Celtic mythology is the sword of the Daghda. What other ones are there? I have no idea how many swords there in that realm of myth.

Pegasus

This opens up a new world for me. I did a quick search for swords and found quite a listing, with stories I know nothing about. Looks like some interesting stories to explore. Here are some swords I found - there is a singing sword; a sword of air sounds pretty invincible as it is rumored that no armor could stop it and Caladbolg that was a sword so strong it could cut the tops off of three hills!

Frumpy

I personally like the sword of the Archangel Michael. He used that sword to defeat Lucifer and eradicate him from heaven. He is always defending us in battle. So this sword still has meaning to Christians.

LegendofJoe

Roland had Durendal.
When he was dying he tried to destroy it by smashing it against a rock so that the Saracens would not posses it.
He could not; the blade was too strong.
(The Song of Roland).

Ren

The one I like is more Arthurian legend then Celtic myth, and it is when the young King Arthur breaks his first sword in battle, the one he pulled out of the stone, and Merlin promptly leads him to the lake of Avalon where a lady of the lake presents the new king with an even better sword than his first -- that of Excalibur. As Arthur gazes upon the sword with wonder, Merlin warns him that the scabbard is worth more than the sword. When sheathed, the scabbard keeps the sword clean.

The only other sword I know of in Celtic mythology is the sword of the Daghda. What other ones are there? I have no idea how many swords there in that realm of myth.
In Malory's Le Morte D'Arthur, Merlin says that the scabbard is worth more because as long as Arthur wore it, his wounds would not bleed. Such is also the case in the modern retelling, Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley in which Morgaine, or Morgan le Fey, fashioned the scabbard for Arthur.

Isis

Fragarach, the sword of the air, gave its wielder control of the wind as well as the ability to cut through armor and shields. Also, if you held it up to an enemy's throat, the enemy had no choice but to tell the truth.