Speaking of christmas

Interesting comparison, Nadai; there are a number of mythological entities who seem to share common attributes with Lilith, so it's likely that you're correct. I think the whole mythology of Lilith and Ashmodai is pretty interesting.

To circumvent this, women would sing songs to their babies before placing them in their cradles and these songs were supposed to keep Lilith away. They were called Lilith-bes (Lillith'be) or lullibies.
I didn't know this, but I did know that it was common to use amulets bearing the name of Lilith, or the names of the three angels that confronted Lilith, to ward off the female fiend.

But this is another topic for another thread. :)

Nadai

Interesting comparison, Nadai; there are a number of mythological entities who seem to share common attributes with Lilith, so it's likely that you're correct. I think the whole mythology of Lilith and Ashmodai is pretty interesting.
Never heard of Ashmodai...you mind explaining her?

Never heard of Ashmodai...you mind explaining her?
Ashmodai is the King of the Demons in Hebrew lore. He played a major role (under the name of Asmodeus) in the deuterocanonical Tobit where he killed the husbands of a certain woman before the marriage was consummated; he was also a figure in the pseudepigraphal Testament of Solomon where Solomon conjured him from Hell by means of his magic ring and forced the arch-demon and his minions to build the Temple. In mystical circles, he is also reputed to be the husband of Lilith—a charge that is also attributed to Samael; the sources are quite unclear whether Ashmodai is another name of Samael, or if they are two separate entites, but got confused somewhere along the lines. Both are also associated with the Devil, to show how confused the details are.

One thing in agreement with both stories is that Lilith and her demonic husband conceived a large number of offspring called Lilin. Of course, the story concludes with Adam desiring Lilith to return, three angels entreating her to return with the warning that if she refused, they would slay a certain number of her Lilin each day; Lilith did refuse, and so the killings are said to continue even to this day. The surviving Lilin figure into Hebrew myth too, and were blamed for mysterious deaths and general mischief.

This is a pretty interesting book on the subject if you are interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Liliths-Cave-Jewish-Tales-Supernatural/dp/0195067266/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325016872&sr=1-1

LegendofJoe

Bertha is not a malevelant being. I believe the children cling to her because they are exempt from heaven since they were not baptized.