Space heaters

Goldie

Do any of you use space heaters to try to cut down on the utility bills in the winter? To be honest, they make me very nervous, but I just bought a very small table top one. It doesn't heat the room, but it keeps my space toasty.

Isis

No, I do not. I hear too many stories of houses burning down. About a month ago, a family of five in a nearby county was killed in a house fire started by a space heater.

Eulalie

I have used space heaters. I like to have one under my desk to keep my feet toasty. If you are careful about the type you get they are safe. It is generally best to get one with a thermostat and that has a tip over feature that shuts the heater down if it is tipped over.

Chintai

I have one that I use to take the initial chill off the room when I first get up or come home. I would be wary of using one under a desk though. Goldie, what was it about the heater that started the fire?

Goldie

That's why I have a small one, not a big one. This one sits right on my disk. It's right here on my left. It doesn't generate enough heat to do a room, just the space right where I am. That's exactly why I bought it. I'd never put it on the floor. I wouldn't trust it.

Eulalie

You do have to be careful and use common sense if you use a space heater, especially on the floor. I have a "U" shaped desk and the heater is in a spot my feet cannot reach but has good ventilation. I also have a tiled floor so there are no fibers or threads that can get close to it. If you are careful space heaters can help a lot. In my living room, I have a large heater that looks like a fireplace, and it really cut down on my heating bills.