So tell us a bit about yourself...

Arachne

I just thought I'd start a thread where we can describe our interests/hobbies, how we came to be interested in mythology, or whatever else we'd like to share. I guess I'll start:

I'm almost 21 and have a diverse heritage, though I'm proud to claim Native Hawai'i as part of that heritage! I was homeschooled for most of my life and I think that's a large part of why I have so many nerdy interests, and such a love for reading.

My areas of interest include: mythology; pre-Christian Greek and Roman religions; the roles of women in pretty much all pre-modern societies; Caribbean religions and cults; ghosts, hauntings, and paranormal; Polynesian history and legends; Native Americans; sharks; marine mammals; spiders and other arthopods; the history of clothing and fashion.

I also have some "darker" interests that I explore mostly from a psychological and cultural perspective. Cannibalism, particularly cannibal behaviors in tribal societies, is of great interest to me, though I'm also interested in serial killers (especially but not limited to cannibal ones). Researching serial killers and other criminals is another one of my guiltier pleasures:rolleyes:

My hobbies are: reading, writing, sketching, singing, reading, baking/cooking in general, shopping, swimming, playing the piano, reading, anything to do with animals, and reading.

Oh and did I mention reading?

I don't spend much time on the internet, until recently, and this is one of the first forums I've ever posted a lot on, so please go easy on me lol.

If you'd like to know anything else about me, feel free to message me. I don't bite - often;)

Myrddin

I am guessing you have probably seen Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, and all the other Hannibal Lecter movies. Good stuff.

Well, since you asked, I will confess that in grade 11 my class was taught some Greek mythology, and since then I have developed a thirst for more and took a class in college which taught more Greek mythology as well as Norse and Native American mythology, and Arthurian Legend along with fairy tales. Of course, I developed a taste in every one of those things. This led me to take a Children's Literature class, not just for the fairy tales but because I also like to write, and an Arthurian Legends class later on -- both English classes. I looooooove English. I now like Classical, Norse, and Celtic mythology; Arthurian legend; and both folk and fairy tales (Angela Carters modernized fairy tales are amazing; especially her 'Little Red Riding Hood' ones).

LOVE reading, writing, sketching, and painting. I also enjoy a little cooking, especially Mexican food, and am a dangerous shopper -- books, movies, and music.

Read mostly horror, though I often branch off into fantasy (Harry Potter for sure, and of course what's to do with King Arthur), mystery, a little historical fiction, and science fiction. As for writing, I dabble mostly in the horror genre, researching about werewolves, vampires, and other demons and paranormal activities, sometimes including things like Nessie.

Love the internet and computer games. The computer is what I use for my writing, though I prefer to do my research from books, usually that I take out from the library.

I would love to be able to write a psychological thriller.

I am weird in my own way -- I love to get scared, and really enjoy horror movies like Paranormal Activity and Insidious. Also love urban legends like Aren't You Glad You Didn't Turn On the Light? and those about serial killers and escaped mental patients. I just love things dark and scary. Oh, I forgot to mention The Ring.

Don't think I left anything out. Anyway...

Nadai

Since you aksed...here goes

I don't do much and my interests are pretty similar. I read nonstop...even while cooking....though I'm a terrible cook. I love love love Greek and Roman mythology. I've very recently started reading paranormal romances which I love almost as much as mythology. I started reading Edith Hamilton's Mythology in...elementary school... and since then I've been in love. I have some of Ovid's works and I love him too... I just like the fact that he was a rogue and decided he didn't care what everyone else thought about the gods...he was going to write what he believed even if it was controversial in his time.
I like anything paranormal even though I'm a bit of a chicken...I'll watch a scary movie then be up all night and jump at the smallest noises! I just can't resist! I am also interested in cannibalism (when I studied Anthropology I learned about several cultures in South America who still practice cannibalism) but moreso in vampirism. I've actually read documented cases where people drank the blood of others and called themselves vampires, of course when they were medically evaluated they were found to be just as normal...if not a bit crazier...than a anyone else...they just had a craving for blood. I wonder if we'll ever see anything like that on My Strange Addiction. I totally believe in vampires and most other paranormal creatures of the night. I believe that all myths come from some type of fact.
I love comic books and I love cartoons and I love videdo games...I'm a ten year old trapped in a 21 year olds body! I have an addiction for any type of candy...not chocolate...and if I could I would eat cake for breakfast every morning!
I am an artist...which could explain why I'm a bit odd...and I would love to write but I don't have the attention span for it.
I hate shopping for clothes, but I love going to the grocery store...I hate mornings, but I stay up all night. I love playing in the rain. I'm from Indiana so I'm used to tornado weather. I love when the air is still and cool and the sky is dark and cloudy. I love when the rain pours down like you're standing under a waterfall and I love the sound of thunder and the way my hair stands on end when lightning strikes...But sunlight is for the birds...it's boring. No storm is the same. I'd be a storm-chaser if I could sit still in a van long enough to get to one.
Oh...I like working out-lifting weights. I'm a small girl, but in highschool I through shot-put and discus and was great at it...since then I can't seem to stop lifting.
I'm American...born and raised in tornado alley...I know a bit of sign language and Spanish. I know a bit about interpreting dreams and the spirit world.
...I think that's it...

TheLoreman

I'm a cartoonist. I love the countryside. Favourite writer is Gabrile Garcia Marquez. Favourite film is SERENITY and WAGES OF FEAR. I adore underwater documentaries and anything to do with the South Pole.
Currently I'm trying to write a TV show to pitch to a network.

Well I'm 22 y.o., love anime, in fact I am starting to create my own manga! i can say i am greatly influenced by the eastern culture. :cool:

I am into mythologies, too, preferably greek, norse, egyptian and aztec myths. I find these myths really interesting.

Some of my fave authors are Charles Dickens and Anne Rice. During my highschool years I became addicted to Goosebumps (by RL Stine) and Nancy Drew series (by Carolyn Keene).

I love sweets! candies, chocolates, chips, etc., they are my power foods! i preferred to stay indoors and sit by the windows to watch the clouds' humorous forms. I preferred to be alone and I only went outside when I needed to do something (like to buy food etc etc)

I am awakened by the sight of blood, i am really enjoying it. I love to watch horror movies, serial killers, suspense thrillers, zombies, apocalyptic movies, or anything with blood on it. I admire those serial killers for having not only their strength, but their brains as well. Last time I watched the Saw movies straight! (think about being paranoid after lol)

but i admire simple things like the clouds, the bees, butterflies, leaves, trees, the rain pouring, county music, RnB, my friends..im not that brutal-minded always :p

Wotan

I'm Wotan (Obviously a screen name) (one of many), I am 17, male, dress like a pirate, love history mainly mythology, love using ","'s, I'm in year 12, play the guitar poorly, have fantastic taste in music (like seriously the best), I once faught a bear (he started it), I read (sometimes I don't read), I watch TV (less and less though), I used to play video games (but now I mostly do not), I spend most my time not sleeping (however sometimes I sleep while doing this), every now and then I have a brilliant idea, execute it poorly and get an adiquate result. But in the end, thats really all I want. I discovered the meaning of life at the age of 17, allowing me to spend more time pondering more pressing issues. I read *some* ancient Egyptian (I am working on becoming fluent) I speak *most* english (I am working on becoming fluent) I am pretty good at mini golf, as long as I am playing against someone worse than me. There are rumours that I cross dress, although photographic evidence is blurry (I share this in common with big foot) (seriously, that guy is hard to catch in a dress), I am from Australia, I do not like vegimite, the mouse on my computer keeps turning off making it hard to click things.

I think that covers atleast a bit about me...