So i've been told the world is going to end tomorrow...

Katie

I find it somewhat hilarious that everyone's getting all worked up about tomorrow being the last day of the world that there are actually people professing their love to other people on my twitter dash. It's still not as over the top as the 2012 and the 2012-Japan earthquake speculations but I think end of the world declarations are silly. They're extra annoying when it comes from Christian groups when it's obviously written that only God knows when the world is going to die so maybe they should just read the teachings they preach rather than try to prophesize and become the false prophets that the Bible actually warned about.

Myrddin

I agree. The end of the world crap is... stupid. Some of it is interesting, but none of it is tactile or real. And yeah, what is with those people who try to prophesize and become those who they actually have originally been warning against? I mean... come on!

Allie-Gator

Well, the Bible says that not even God's son knows when the end is coming. There are signs listed to look for but honestly, no one knows when it's going to happen. The scare when we went into the year 2000 was frantic too but honestly, no one knows. Harold Camping has scared a lot of people and one of my friend's sons is scared to death. He turns 9 years old today and he has been crying all night because this man scared the daylights out of him. :(

Myrddin

Well, the Bible says that not even God's son knows when the end is coming. There are signs listed to look for but honestly, no one knows when it's going to happen. The scare when we went into the year 2000 was frantic too but honestly, no one knows. Harold Camping has scared a lot of people and one of my friend's sons is scared to death. He turns 9 years old today and he has been crying all night because this man scared the daylights out of him. :(
That's just horrible. I think Camping has a lot to answer for.

LegendofJoe

I've seen this Camping guy on TV for years now, I turn to it when I need a good belly laugh. He is always on a particular channel that seems to be just him babbling away.
He is very creepy looking. He is very ancient and skinny, with a deep slow voice.
He looks like a mummy that just escaped from his wrappings in order to condemn all of us if we don't accept HIS brand of Christianity.
He goes on about how we are in a miserable world and that god has selected a tiny majority of humans that will be saved.
And not only that, he takes a Calvinist predestination view: You can be as good a person as you want, if you were not chosen from the beggining of time, you're screwed!!!
I think people like him should not even be given any press time, but instead just laughed at!
Myrddin, I'm sorry that your friend's child had to go through that. Anybody who claims to know when the world will end is a liar.
Even many Christians know that nobody is to know when the end will come.
Personally I take a scientific view: whenever I am asked about the end of the world I say yes; in about 5 billion years when the sun expands and engulfs the earth.

Isis

That poor kid. I guess he was relieved to wake up this morning and realize we are still here! I take the same stance as LegendofJoe--we've got about 5 billion years.

Myrddin

That poor kid. I guess he was relieved to wake up this morning and realize we are still here! I take the same stance as LegendofJoe--we've got about 5 billion years.
Well, we either have the five billion years until the sun expands into a red giant, or, more likely I think, when humanity finally destroys itself.

mythlvr

I just didn't get the point to him even doing it. What was he trying to accomplish? I understand salvation but such a scare tatic to use that doesn't make sense and if you think about it, if people really believed it would be the last day there would have been so much looting and possibly harm to others (might as well hurt someone I didn't like since we will all be gone tomorrow).

I think people like him are very dangerous because they cause havoc like this.

Pegasus

It really could have been quite a mess out there. Glad people showed restrain. Another thought would be if the world was going to end, how would you spend your last day? Erring on the side of human compassion, I would have hoped that for many they treated everyone kinder, and spent time with their loved ones. Not necessarily doing anything but be together. Perphaps out of all this could come some positive, and that is to re-prioritize what is really important.

Myrddin

I just didn't get the point to him even doing it. What was he trying to accomplish? I understand salvation but such a scare tatic to use that doesn't make sense and if you think about it, if people really believed it would be the last day there would have been so much looting and possibly harm to others (might as well hurt someone I didn't like since we will all be gone tomorrow).

I think people like him are very dangerous because they cause havoc like this.
I know, it's disgusting. If people actually thought it was the last day, human nature would have taken over and the social order and world structure would have been torn down, everything in disarray. With all the senseless destruction that would have taken place, it really would then have been the last day -- humanity destroying itself.

Katie

Harold Camping has scared a lot of people and one of my friend's sons is scared to death. He turns 9 years old today and he has been crying all night because this man scared the daylights out of him. :(
That's terrible!! Poor boy!! I'm glad my brother thinks all this is full of crap as well. I heard on the news that the crazy man has announced that the real end date is October 21. When is he going to give up???

Allie-Gator

I don't think he will ever give up. There have been people since the beginning of time, saying "the end is near". I haven't believed any of them yet. One day, one of them may be right but it won't be because they have any forwarning, it's just going to be because they accidentally get it right.